fiction and short story

*زهره*

مدیر بازنشسته
کاربر ممتاز
THE EMPEROR'S NEW CLOTHES by: Hans Christian Anderson

THE EMPEROR'S NEW CLOTHES by: Hans Christian Anderson

Many years ago there was an Emperor, who was so excessively fond of new clothes that he spent all his money on them. He cared nothing about his soldiers, nor for the theatre, nor for driving in the woods except for the sake of showing off his new clothes. He had a costume for every hour in the day, and instead of saying, as one does about any other king or emperor, 'He is in his council chamber,' here one always said, 'The Emperor is in his dressing-room.'

Life was very gay in the great town where he lived; hosts of strangers came to visit it every day, and among them one day two swindlers. They gave themselves out as weavers, and said that they knew how to weave the most beautiful stuffs imaginable. Not only were the colours and patterns unusually fine, but the clothes that were made of the stuffs had the peculiar quality of becoming invisible to every person who was not fit for the office he held, or if he was impossibly dull.

'Those must be splendid clothes,' thought the Emperor. 'By wearing them I should be able to discover which men in my kingdom are unfitted for their posts. I shall distinguish the wise men from the fools. Yes, I certainly must order some of that stuff to be woven for me.'

He paid the two swindlers a lot of money in advance so that they might begin their work at once.

They did put up two looms and pretended to weave, but they had nothing whatever upon their shuttles. At the outset they asked for a quantity of the finest silk and the purest gold thread, all of which they put into their own bags, while they worked away at the empty looms far into the night.

'I should like to know how those weavers are getting on with the stuff,' thought the Emperor; but he felt a little queer when he reflected that any one who was stupid or unfit for his post would not be able to see it. He certainly thought that he need have no fears for himself, but still he thought he would send somebody else first to see how it was getting on. Everybody in the town knew what wonderful power the stuff possessed, and every one was anxious to see how stupid his neighbour was.

'I will send my faithful old minister to the weavers,' thought the Emperor. 'He will be best able to see how the stuff looks, for he is a clever man, and no one fulfils his duties better than he does!'

So the good old minister went into the room where the two swindlers sat working at the empty loom.

'Heaven preserve us!' thought the old minister, opening his eyes very wide. 'Why, I can't see a thing!' But he took care not to say so.

Both the swindlers begged him to be good enough to step a little nearer, and asked if he did not think it a good pattern and beautiful colouring. They pointed to the empty loom, and the poor old minister stared as hard as he could, but he could not see anything, for of course there was nothing to see.

'Good heavens!' thought he, 'is it possible that I am a fool. I have never thought so, and nobody must know it. Am I not fit for my post? It will never do to say that I cannot see the stuffs.'

'Well, sir, you don't say anything about the stuff,' said the one who was pretending to weave.

'Oh, it is beautiful! quite charming!' said the old minister, looking through his spectacles; 'this pattern and these colours! I will certainly tell the Emperor that the stuff pleases me very much.'

'We are delighted to hear you say so,' said the swindlers, and then they named all the colours and described the peculiar pattern. The old minister paid great attention to what they said, so as to be able to repeat it when he got home to the Emperor.

Then the swindlers went on to demand more money, more silk, and more gold, to be able to proceed with the weaving; but they put it all into their own pockets—not a single strand was ever put into the loom, but they went on as before weaving at the empty loom.

The Emperor soon sent another faithful official to see how the stuff was getting on, and if it would soon be ready. The same thing happened to him as to the minister; he looked and looked, but as there was only the empty loom, he could see nothing at all.

'Is not this a beautiful piece of stuff?' said both the swindlers, showing and explaining the beautiful pattern and colours which were not there to be seen.

'I know I am not a fool!' thought the man, 'so it must be that I am unfit for my good post! It is very strange, though! However, one must not let it appear!' So he praised the stuff he did not see, and assured them of his delight in the beautiful colours and the originality of the design. 'It is absolutely charming!' he said to the Emperor. Everybody in the town was talking about this splendid stuff.

Now the Emperor thought he would like to see it while it was still on the loom. So, accompanied by a number of selected courtiers, among whom were the two faithful officials who had already seen the imaginary stuff, he went to visit the crafty impostors, who were working away as hard as ever they could at the empty loom.

'It is magnificent!' said both the honest officials. 'Only see, your Majesty, what a design! What colours!' And they pointed to the empty loom, for they thought no doubt the others could see the stuff.

'What!' thought the Emperor; 'I see nothing at all! This is terrible! Am I a fool? Am I not fit to be Emperor? Why, nothing worse could happen to me!'

'Oh, it is beautiful!' said the Emperor. 'It has my highest approval!' and he nodded his satisfaction as he gazed at the empty loom. Nothing would induce him to say that he could not see anything.

The whole suite gazed and gazed, but saw nothing more than all the others. However, they all exclaimed with his Majesty, 'It is very beautiful!' and they advised him to wear a suit made of this wonderful cloth on the occasion of a great procession which was just about to take place. 'It is magnificent! gorgeous! excellent!' went from mouth to mouth; they were all equally delighted with it. The Emperor gave each of the rogues an order of knighthood to be worn in their buttonholes and the title of 'Gentlemen weavers.'

The swindlers sat up the whole night, before the day on which the procession was to take place, burning sixteen candles; so that people might see how anxious they were to get the Emperor's new clothes ready. They pretended to take the stuff off the loom. They cut it out in the air with a huge pair of scissors, and they stitched away with needles without any thread in them. At last they said: 'Now the Emperor's new clothes are ready!'

The Emperor, with his grandest courtiers, went to them himself, and both the swindlers raised one arm in the air, as if they were holding something, and said: 'See, these are the trousers, this is the coat, here is the mantle!' and so on. 'It is as light as a spider's web. One might think one had nothing on, but that is the very beauty of it!'

'Yes!' said all the courtiers, but they could not see anything, for there was nothing to see.

'Will your imperial majesty be graciously pleased to take off your clothes,' said, the impostors, 'so that we may put on the new ones, along here before the great mirror?'

The Emperor took off all his clothes, and the impostors pretended to give him one article of dress after the other of the new ones which they had pretended to make. They pretended to fasten something round his waist and to tie on something; this was the train, and the Emperor turned round and round in front of the mirror.

'How well his majesty looks in the new clothes! How becoming they are!' cried all the people round. 'What a design, and what colours! They are most gorgeous robes!'

'The canopy is waiting outside which is to be carried over your majesty in the procession,' said the master of the ceremonies.

'Well, I am quite ready,' said the Emperor. 'Don't the clothes fit well?' and then he turned round again in front of the mirror, so that he should seem to be looking at his grand things.

The chamberlains who were to carry the train stooped and pretended to lift it from the ground with both hands, and they walked along with their hands in the air. They dared not let it appear that they could not see anything.

Then the Emperor walked along in the procession under the gorgeous canopy, and everybody in the streets and at the windows exclaimed, 'How beautiful the Emperor's new clothes are! What a splendid train! And they fit to perfection!' Nobody would let it appear that he could see nothing, for then he would not be fit for his post, or else he was a fool.

None of the Emperor's clothes had been so successful before.

'But he has got nothing on,' said a little child.

'Oh, listen to the innocent,' said its father; and one person whispered to the other what the child had said. 'He has nothing on; a child says he has nothing on!'

'But he has nothing on!' at last cried all the people.

The Emperor writhed, for he knew it was true, but he thought 'the procession must go on now,' so held himself stiffer than ever, and the chamberlains held up the invisible train.

*زهره*

مدیر بازنشسته
کاربر ممتاز
THE QUEEN OF QUOK by: L. Frank Baum

A king once died, as kings are apt to do, being as liable to shortness of breath as other mortals.
It was high time this king abandoned his earth life, for he had lived in a sadly extravagant manner, and his subjects could spare him without the slightest inconvenience.

His father had left him a full treasury, both money and jewels being in abundance. But the foolish king just deceased had squandered every penny in riotous living. He had then taxed his subjects until most of them became paupers, and this money vanished in more riotous living. Next he sold all the grand old furniture in the palace; all the silver and gold plate and bric-a-brac; all the rich carpets and furnishings and even his own kingly wardrobe, reserving only a soiled and moth-eaten ermine robe to fold over his threadbare raiment. And he spent the money in further riotous living.

Don't ask me to explain what riotous living is. I only know, from hearsay, that it is an excellent way to get rid of money. And so this spendthrift king found it.

He now picked all the magnificent jewels from this kingly crown and from the round ball on the top of his scepter, and sold them and spent the money. Riotous living, of course. But at last he was at the end of his resources. He couldn't sell the crown itself, because no one but the king had the right to wear it. Neither could he sell the royal palace, because only the king had the right to live there.
So, finally, he found himself reduced to a bare palace, containing only a big mahogany bedstead that he slept in, a small stool on which he sat to pull off his shoes and the moth-eaten ermine robe.
In this straight he was reduced to the necessity of borrowing an occasional dime from his chief counselor, with which to buy a ham sandwich. And the chief counselor hadn't many dimes. One who counseled his king so foolishly was likely to ruin his own prospects as well.
So the king, having nothing more to live for, died suddenly and left a ten-year-old son to inherit the dismantled kingdom, the moth-eaten robe and the jewel-stripped crown.
No one envied the child, who had scarcely been thought of until he became king himself. Then he was recognized as a personage of some importance, and the politicians and hangers-on, headed by the chief counselor of the kingdom, held a meeting to determine what could be done for him.
These folk had helped the old king to live riotously while his money lasted, and now they were poor and too proud to work. So they tried to think of a plan that would bring more money into the little king's treasury, where it would be handy for them to help themselves.
After the meeting was over the chief counselor came to the young king, who was playing peg-top in the courtyard, and said:
"Your majesty, we have thought of a way to restore your kingdom to its former power and magnificence."
"All right," replied his majesty, carelessly. "How will you do it?"
"By marrying you to a lady of great wealth," replied the counselor.
"Marrying me!" cried the king. "Why, I am only ten years old!"
"I know; it is to be regretted. But your majesty will grow older, and the affairs of the kingdom demand that you marry a wife."
"Can't I marry a mother, instead?" asked the poor little king, who had lost his mother when a baby.
"Certainly not," declared the counselor. "To marry a mother would be illegal; to marry a wife is right and proper."
"Can't you marry her yourself?" inquired his majesty, aiming his peg-top at the chief counselor's toe, and laughing to see how he jumped to escape it.
"Let me explain," said the other. "You haven't a penny in the world, but you have a kingdom. There are many rich women who would be glad to give their wealth in exchange for a queen's coronet--even if the king is but a child. So we have decided to advertise that the one who bids the highest shall become the queen of Quok."
"If I must marry at all," said the king, after a moment's thought, "I prefer to marry Nyana, the armorer's daughter."
"She is too poor," replied the counselor.
"Her teeth are pearls, her eyes are amethysts, and her hair is gold," declared the little king.
"True, your majesty. But consider that your wife's wealth must be used. How would Nyana look after you have pulled her teeth of pearls, plucked out her amethyst eyes and shaved her golden head?"
The boy shuddered.
"Have your own way," he said, despairingly. "Only let the lady be as dainty as possible and a good playfellow."
"We shall do our best," returned the chief counselor, and went away to advertise throughout the neighboring kingdoms for a wife for the boy king of Quok.
There were so many applicants for the privilege of marrying the little king that it was decided to put him up at auction, in order that the largest possible sum of money should be brought into the kingdom. So, on the day appointed, the ladies gathered at the palace from all the surrounding kingdoms--from Bilkon, Mulgravia, Junkum and even as far away as the republic of Macvelt.
The chief counselor came to the palace early in the morning and had the king's face washed and his hair combed; and then he padded the inside of the crown with old newspapers to make it small enough to fit his majesty's head. It was a sorry looking crown, having many big and little holes in it where the jewels had once been; and it had been neglected and knocked around until it was quite battered and tarnished. Yet, as the counselor said, it was the king's crown, and it was quite proper he should wear it on the solemn occasion of his auction.
Like all boys, be they kings or paupers, his majesty had torn and soiled his one suit of clothes, so that they were hardly presentable; and there was no money to buy new ones. Therefore the counselor wound the old ermine robe around the king and sat him upon the stool in the middle of the otherwise empty audience chamber.
And around him stood all the courtiers and politicians and hangers-on of the kingdom, consisting of such people as were too proud or lazy to work for a living. There was a great number of them, you may be sure, and they made an imposing appearance.
Then the doors of the audience chamber were thrown open, and the wealthy ladies who aspired to being queen of Quok came trooping in. The king looked them over with much anxiety, and decided they were each and all old enough to be his grandmother, and ugly enough to scare away the crows from the royal cornfields. After which he lost interest in them.
But the rich ladies never looked at the poor little king squatting upon his stool. They gathered at once about the chief counselor, who acted as auctioneer.
"How much am I offered for the coronet of the queen of Quok?" asked the counselor, in a loud voice.
"Where is the coronet?" inquired a fussy old lady who had just buried her ninth husband and was worth several millions.
"There isn't any coronet at present," explained the chief counselor, "but whoever bids highest will have the right to wear one, and she can then buy it."
"Oh," said the fussy old lady, "I see." Then she added: "I'll bid fourteen dollars."
"Fourteen thousand dollars!" cried a sour-looking woman who was thin and tall and had wrinkles all over her skin--"like a frosted apple," the king thought.
The bidding now became fast and furious, and the poverty-stricken courtiers brightened up as the sum began to mount into the millions.
"He'll bring us a very pretty fortune, after all," whispered one to his comrade, "and then we shall have the pleasure of helping him spend it."
The king began to be anxious. All the women who looked at all kind-hearted or pleasant had stopped bidding for lack of money, and the slender old dame with the wrinkles seemed determined to get the coronet at any price, and with it the boy husband. This ancient creature finally became so excited that her wig got crosswise of her head and her false teeth kept slipping out, which horrified the little king greatly; but she would not give up.
At last the chief counselor ended the auction by crying out:
"Sold to Mary Ann Brodjinsky de la Porkus for three million, nine hundred thousand, six hundred and twenty-four dollars and sixteen cents!" And the sour-looking old woman paid the money in cash and on the spot, which proves this is a fairy story.
The king was so disturbed at the thought that he must marry this hideous creature that he began to wail and weep; whereupon the woman boxed his ears soundly. But the counselor reproved her for punishing her future husband in public, saying:
"You are not married yet. Wait until to-morrow, after the wedding takes place. Then you can abuse him as much as you wish. But at present we prefer to have people think this is a love match."
The poor king slept but little that night, so filled was he with terror of his future wife. Nor could he get the idea out of his head that he preferred to marry the armorer's daughter, who was about his own age. He tossed and tumbled around upon his hard bed until the moonlight came in at the window and lay like a great white sheet upon the bare floor. Finally, in turning over for the hundredth time, his hand struck against a secret spring in the headboard of the big mahogany bedstead, and at once, with a sharp click, a panel flew open.

*زهره*

مدیر بازنشسته
کاربر ممتاز

[SIZE=-1]The noise caused the king to look up, and, seeing the open panel, he [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]stood upon tiptoe, and, reaching within, drew out a folded paper. It [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]had several leaves fastened together like a book, and upon the first [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]page was written:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"When the king is in trouble[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]This leaf he must double[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]And set it on fire[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]To obtain his desire."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]This was not very good poetry, but when the king had spelled it out [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]in the moonlight he was filled with joy.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"There's no doubt about my being in trouble," he exclaimed; "so I'll [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]burn it at once, and see what happens."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]He tore off the leaf and put the rest of the book in its secret [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]hiding place. Then, folding the paper double, he placed it on the [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]top of his stool, lighted a match and set fire to it.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]It made a horrid smudge for so small a paper, and the king sat on [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]the edge of the bed and watched it eagerly.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]When the smoke cleared away he was surprised to see, sitting upon [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]the stool, a round little man, who, with folded arms and crossed [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]legs, sat calmly facing the king and smoking a black briarwood pipe.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Well, here I am," said he.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"So I see," replied the little king. "But how did you get here?"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Didn't you burn the paper?" demanded the round man, by way of [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]answer.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Yes, I did," acknowledged the king.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Then you are in trouble, and I've come to help you out of it. I'm [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]the Slave of the Royal Bedstead."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Oh!" said the king. "I didn't know there was one."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Neither did your father, or he would not have been so foolish as to [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]sell everything he had for money. By the way, it's lucky for you he [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]did not sell this bedstead. Now, then, what do you want?"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"I'm not sure what I want," replied the king; "but I know what I [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]don't want, and that is the old woman who is going to marry me."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"That's easy enough," said the Slave of the Royal Bedstead. "All you [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]need do is to return her the money she paid the chief counselor and [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]declare the match off. Don't be afraid. You are the king, and your [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]word is law."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"To be sure," said the majesty. "But I am in great need of money. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]How am I going to live if the chief counselor returns to Mary Ann [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Brodjinski her millions?"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Phoo! that's easy enough," again answered the man, and, putting his [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]hand in his pocket, he drew out and tossed to the king an [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]old-fashioned leather purse. "Keep that with you," said he, "and you [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]will always be rich, for you can take out of the purse as many [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]twenty-five-cent silver pieces as you wish, one at a time. No matter [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]how often you take one out, another will instantly appear in its [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]place within the purse."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Thank you," said the king, gratefully. "You have rendered me a rare [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]favor; for now I shall have money for all my needs and will not be [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]obliged to marry anyone. Thank you a thousand times!"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Don't mention it," answered the other, puffing his pipe slowly and [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]watching the smoke curl into the moonlight. "Such things are easy to [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]me. Is that all you want?"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"All I can think of just now," returned the king.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Then, please close that secret panel in the bedstead," said the [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]man; "the other leaves of the book may be of use to you some time."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The boy stood upon the bed as before and, reaching up, closed the [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]opening so that no one else could discover it. Then he turned to [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]face his visitor, but the Slave of the Royal Bedstead had [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]disappeared.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"I expected that," said his majesty; "yet I am sorry he did not wait [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]to say good-by."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]With a lightened heart and a sense of great relief the boy king [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]placed the leather purse underneath his pillow, and climbing into [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]bed again slept soundly until morning.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]When the sun rose his majesty rose also, refreshed and comforted, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]and the first thing he did was to send for the chief counselor.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]That mighty personage arrived looking glum and unhappy, but the boy [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]was too full of his own good fortune to notice it. Said he:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"I have decided not to marry anyone, for I have just come into a [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]fortune of my own. Therefore I command you return to that old woman [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]the money she has paid you for the right to wear the coronet of the [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]queen of Quok. And make public declaration that the wedding will not [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]take place."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Hearing this the counselor began to tremble, for he saw the young [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]king had decided to reign in earnest; and he looked so guilty that [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]his majesty inquired:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Well! what is the matter now?"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Sire," replied the wretch, in a shaking voice, "I cannot return the [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]woman her money, for I have lost it!"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Lost it!" cried the king, in mingled astonishment and anger.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Even so, your majesty. On my way home from the auction last night I [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]stopped at the drug store to get some potash lozenges for my throat, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]which was dry and hoarse with so much loud talking; and your majesty [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]will admit it was through my efforts the woman was induced to pay so [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]great a price. Well, going into the drug store I carelessly left the [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]package of money lying on the seat of my carriage, and when I came [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]out again it was gone. Nor was the thief anywhere to be seen."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Did you call the police?" asked the king.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Yes, I called; but they were all on the next block, and although [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]they have promised to search for the robber I have little hope they [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]will ever find him."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The king sighed.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"What shall we do now?" he asked.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"I fear you must marry Mary Ann Brodjinski," answered the chief [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]counselor; "unless, indeed, you order the executioner to cut her [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]head off."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"That would be wrong," declared the king. "The woman must not be [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]harmed. And it is just that we return her money, for I will not [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]marry her under any circumstances."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Is that private fortune you mentioned large enough to repay her?" [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]asked the counselor.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Why, yes," said the king, thoughtfully, "but it will take some time [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]to do it, and that shall be your task. Call the woman here."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1].[/SIZE]

*زهره*

مدیر بازنشسته
کاربر ممتاز

[SIZE=-1]The counselor went in search of Mary Ann, who, when she heard she [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]was not to become a queen, but would receive her money back, flew [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]into a violent passion and boxed the chief counselor's ears so [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]viciously that they stung for nearly an hour. But she followed him [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]into the king's audience chamber, where she demanded her money in a [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]loud voice, claiming as well the interest due upon it over night.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"The counselor has lost your money," said the boy king, "but he [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]shall pay you every penny out of my own private purse. I fear, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]however, you will be obliged to take it in small change."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"That will not matter," she said, scowling upon the counselor as if [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]she longed to reach his ears again; "I don't care how small the [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]change is so long as I get every penny that belongs to me, and the [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]interest. Where is it?"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Here," answered the king, handing the counselor the leather purse. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]"It is all in silver quarters, and they must be taken from the purse [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]one at a time; but there will be plenty to pay your demands, and to [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]spare."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]So, there being no chairs, the counselor sat down upon the floor in [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]one corner and began counting out silver twenty-five-cent pieces [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]from the purse, one by one. And the old woman sat upon the floor [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]opposite him and took each piece of money from his hand.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]It was a large sum: three million, nine hundred thousand, six [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]hundred and twenty-four dollars and sixteen cents. And it takes four [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]times as many twenty-five-cent pieces as it would dollars to make up [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]the amount.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The king left them sitting there and went to school, and often [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]thereafter he came to the counselor and interrupted him long enough [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]to get from the purse what money he needed to reign in a proper and [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]dignified manner. This somewhat delayed the counting, but as it was [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]a long job, anyway, that did not matter much.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The king grew to manhood and married the pretty daughter of the [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]armorer, and they now have two lovely children of their own. Once in [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]awhile they go into the big audience chamber of the palace and let [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]the little ones watch the aged, hoary-headed counselor count out [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]silver twenty-five-cent pieces to a withered old woman, who watches [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]his every movement to see that he does not cheat her.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]It is a big sum, three million, nine hundred thousand, six hundred [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]and twenty-four dollars and sixteen cents in twenty-five-cent [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]pieces.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]But this is how the counselor was punished for being so careless [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]with the woman's money. And this is how Mary Ann Brodjinski de la [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Porkus was also punished for wishing to marry a ten-year-old king in [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]order that she might wear the coronet of the queen of Quok[/SIZE]

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
داستانهای کوتاه انگلیسی همراه با ترجمه فارسی

داستانهای کوتاه انگلیسی همراه با ترجمه فارسی

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]داستان شنل قرمزی به انگلیسی همراه با ترجمه فارسی[/FONT]
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]Little Red Riding Hood[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Once upon a time, there was a little girl who lived in a village near the forest. Whenever she went out, the little girl wore a red riding cloak, so everyone in the village called her Little Red Riding Hood.
One morning, Little Red Riding Hood asked her mother if she could go to visit her grandmother as it had been awhile since they'd seen each other.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"That's a good idea," her mother said. So they packed a nice basket for Little Red Riding Hood to take to her grandmother.[/FONT]​
روزي روزگار ، دختر كوچكي در دهكده اي نزديك جنگل زندگي مي كرد . دخترك هرگاه بيرون مي رفت يك شنل با كلاه قرمز به تن مي كرد ، براي همين مردم دهكده او را شنل قرمزي صدا مي كردند .

يك روز صبح شنل قرمزي از مادرش خواست كه اگر ممكن است به او اجازه دهد تا به ديدن مادر بزرگش برود چون خيلي وقت بود كه آنها همديگر را نديده بودند . مادرش گفت : فكر خوبي است . سپس آنها يك سبد زيبا از خوراكي درست كردند تا شنل قرمزي آنرا براي مادر بزرگش ببرد
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]When the basket was ready, the little girl put on her red cloak and kissed her mother goodbye.
"Remember, go straight to Grandma's house," her mother cautioned. "Don't dawdle along the way and please don't talk to strangers! The woods are dangerous."
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"Don't worry, mommy," said Little Red Riding Hood, "I'll be careful."[/FONT]​
وقتي سبد آماده شد ، دخترك شنل قرمزش را پوشيد و مادرش را بوسيد و از او خداحافظي كرد .
مادرش گفت : عزيزم يكراست خانه مادربرگ برو و وقتت را تلف نكن در ضمن با غريبه ها حرف نزن . در جنگل خطرهاي فراواني وجود دارد
شنل قرمزي گفت : مادرجون ، نگران نباش . من دقت مي كنم
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]But when Little Red Riding Hood noticed some lovely flowers in the woods, she forgot her promise to her mother. She picked a few, watched the butterflies flit about for awhile, listened to the frogs croaking and then picked a few more.
Little Red Riding Hood was enjoying the warm summer day so much, that she didn't notice a dark shadow approaching out of the forest behind her...
[/FONT]​
اما وقتي در جنگل ، چشم او به گلهاي زيبا و دوست داشتني افتاد ، نصيحتهاي مادرش را فراموش كرد .
او تعدادي گل چيد و به پرواز پروانه ها نگاه كرد و به صداي قورباغه ها گوش داد .
شنل قرمزي از اين روز گرم تابستاني خيلي لذت مي برد و متوجه نزديك شدن سايه سياهي كه پشت سرش بود ، نشد .
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Suddenly, the wolf appeared beside her.
"What are you doing out here, little girl?" the wolf asked in a voice as friendly as he could muster.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"I'm on my way to see my Grandma who lives through the forest, near the brook," Little Red Riding Hood replied.[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Then she realized how late she was and quickly excused herself, rushing down the path to her Grandma's house. [/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The wolf, in the meantime, took a shortcut...[/FONT]​
ناگهان يك گرگ جلوي او ظاهر شد
گرگ با لحن مهرباني گفت : دختر كوچولو ، چيكار مي كني ؟
شنل قرمزي گفت : مي خواهم به ديدن مادر بزرگم بروم . او در ميان جنگل ، نزديك نهر زندگي مي كند
شنل قرمزي متوجه شد كه خيلي دير كرده است و از گشتن صرف نظر كرد و با عجله بطرف خانه مادربزرگ براه افتاد .
در همان وقت ، گرگ از راه ميان بر ...
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The wolf, a little out of breath from running, arrived at Grandma's and knocked lightly at the door.
"Oh thank goodness dear! Come in, come in! I was worried sick that something had happened to you in the forest," said Grandma thinking that the knock was her granddaughter.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The wolf let himself in. Poor Granny did not have time to say another word, before the wolf gobbled her up![/FONT]​
گرگ دويد و به منزل مادر بزرگ رسيد و آهسته در زد
مادربزرگ تصور كرد ، كسي كه در مي زند ، نوه اش است . گفت : اوه عزيزم ! بيا تو . بيا تو . من نگران بودم كه اتفاقي در جنگل برايت رخ داده باشد
گرگ داخل شدو بطرف مادر بزرگ دويد .

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
داستان كوتاه نامه ای به خدا
The letter to God

There was a man who worked for the Post Office whose job it was to process all the mail that had illegible addresses.One day, a letter came addressed in a shaky handwriting to God with no actual address. He thought he should open it to see what it was about. The letter read:

Dear God,
I am an 83 year old widow, living on a very small pension. Yesterday someone stole my purse. It had $100 in it, which was all the money i had until my next pension check. Next Sunday is Christmas, and I had invited two of my friends over for dinner. Without that money, I have nothing to buy food with. I have no family to turn to, and you are my only hope. Can you please help me?

Sincerely, Edna

The postal worker was touched. He showed the letter to all the other workers. Each one dug into his or her wallet and came up with a few dollars. By the time he made the rounds, he had collected $96, which they put into an envelope and sent to the woman.
The rest of the day, all the workers felt a warm glow thinking of Edna and the dinner she would be able to share with her friends.
Christmas came and went. A few days later, another letter came from the same old lady to God. All the workers gathered around while the letter was opened. It read:

Dear God,
How can I ever thank you enough for what you did for me? Because of your gift of love, I was able to fix a glorious dinner for my friends. We had a very nice day and I told my friends of your wonderful gift. By the way, there was $4 missing. I think it must have been those bastards at the Post Office.

مردی برای یک اداره پست کار می کرد که مسئول رسیدگی به نامه هایی که آدرس نا معلوم داشتند بود. يك روز متوجه نامه اي شد كه روي پاكت آن با خطي لرزان نوشته شده بود نامه‌ای به خدا !
با خودش فكر كرد بهتر است نامه را باز كرده و بخواند.در نامه اين طور نوشته شده بود:

خدای عزيزم بيوه زنی هشتادوسه ساله هستم كه زندگی ام با حقوق نا چيز باز نشستگی می‌گذرد. ديروز يك نفر كيف مرا كه صد دلار در آن بود دزديد.
اين تمام پولی بود كه تا پايان ماه بايد خرج می‌كردم. يكشنبه هفته ديگر عيد است و من دو نفر از دوستانم را برای شام دعوت كرده‌ام، اما بدون آن پول چيزی نمی‌توانم بخرم. هيچ كس را هم ندارم تا از او پول قرض بگيرم . تو ای خدای مهربان تنها اميد من هستی می تونی من كمك كنی؟

كارمند اداره پست خيلی تحت تاثير قرار گرفت و نامه را به ساير همكارانش نشان داد. نتيجه اين شد كه همه آنها جيب خود را جستجو كردند و هر كدام چند دلاري روی ميز گذاشتند. در پايان نودوشش دلار جمع شد و براي پيرزن فرستادند …
همه كارمندان اداره پست از اينكه توانسته بودند كار خوبي انجام دهند خوشحال بودند. عيد به پايان رسيد و چند روزي از اين ماجرا گذشت، تا اين كه نامه ديگري از آن پيرزن به اداره پست رسيد كه روي آن نوشته شده بود: نامه‌ای به خدا !
همه كارمندان جمع شدند تا نامه را باز كرده و بخوانند. مضمون نامه چنين بود :

خدای عزيزم، چگونه مي‌توانم از كاری كه برايم انجام دادی تشكر كنم. با لطف تو توانستم شامی ‌عالی برای دوستانم مهيا كرده و روز خوبی را با هم بگذرانيم. من به آنها گفتم كه چه هديه خوبی برايم فرستادی. البته چهار دلار آن كم بود كه مطمئنم كارمندان اداره پست آن را برداشته‌اند!

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]داستان شنل قرمزی به انگلیسی همراه با ترجمه فارسی[/FONT]
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]Little Red Riding Hood[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Once upon a time, there was a little girl who lived in a village near the forest. Whenever she went out, the little girl wore a red riding cloak, so everyone in the village called her Little Red Riding Hood.
One morning, Little Red Riding Hood asked her mother if she could go to visit her grandmother as it had been awhile since they'd seen each other.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"That's a good idea," her mother said. So they packed a nice basket for Little Red Riding Hood to take to her grandmother.[/FONT]​
روزي روزگار ، دختر كوچكي در دهكده اي نزديك جنگل زندگي مي كرد . دخترك هرگاه بيرون مي رفت يك شنل با كلاه قرمز به تن مي كرد ، براي همين مردم دهكده او را شنل قرمزي صدا مي كردند .

يك روز صبح شنل قرمزي از مادرش خواست كه اگر ممكن است به او اجازه دهد تا به ديدن مادر بزرگش برود چون خيلي وقت بود كه آنها همديگر را نديده بودند . مادرش گفت : فكر خوبي است . سپس آنها يك سبد زيبا از خوراكي درست كردند تا شنل قرمزي آنرا براي مادر بزرگش ببرد
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]When the basket was ready, the little girl put on her red cloak and kissed her mother goodbye.
"Remember, go straight to Grandma's house," her mother cautioned. "Don't dawdle along the way and please don't talk to strangers! The woods are dangerous."
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"Don't worry, mommy," said Little Red Riding Hood, "I'll be careful."[/FONT]​
وقتي سبد آماده شد ، دخترك شنل قرمزش را پوشيد و مادرش را بوسيد و از او خداحافظي كرد .
مادرش گفت : عزيزم يكراست خانه مادربرگ برو و وقتت را تلف نكن در ضمن با غريبه ها حرف نزن . در جنگل خطرهاي فراواني وجود دارد
شنل قرمزي گفت : مادرجون ، نگران نباش . من دقت مي كنم
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]But when Little Red Riding Hood noticed some lovely flowers in the woods, she forgot her promise to her mother. She picked a few, watched the butterflies flit about for awhile, listened to the frogs croaking and then picked a few more.
Little Red Riding Hood was enjoying the warm summer day so much, that she didn't notice a dark shadow approaching out of the forest behind her...
[/FONT]​
اما وقتي در جنگل ، چشم او به گلهاي زيبا و دوست داشتني افتاد ، نصيحتهاي مادرش را فراموش كرد .
او تعدادي گل چيد و به پرواز پروانه ها نگاه كرد و به صداي قورباغه ها گوش داد .
شنل قرمزي از اين روز گرم تابستاني خيلي لذت مي برد و متوجه نزديك شدن سايه سياهي كه پشت سرش بود ، نشد .
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Suddenly, the wolf appeared beside her.
"What are you doing out here, little girl?" the wolf asked in a voice as friendly as he could muster.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"I'm on my way to see my Grandma who lives through the forest, near the brook," Little Red Riding Hood replied.[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Then she realized how late she was and quickly excused herself, rushing down the path to her Grandma's house. [/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The wolf, in the meantime, took a shortcut...[/FONT]​
ناگهان يك گرگ جلوي او ظاهر شد
گرگ با لحن مهرباني گفت : دختر كوچولو ، چيكار مي كني ؟
شنل قرمزي گفت : مي خواهم به ديدن مادر بزرگم بروم . او در ميان جنگل ، نزديك نهر زندگي مي كند
شنل قرمزي متوجه شد كه خيلي دير كرده است و از گشتن صرف نظر كرد و با عجله بطرف خانه مادربزرگ براه افتاد .
در همان وقت ، گرگ از راه ميان بر ...
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The wolf, a little out of breath from running, arrived at Grandma's and knocked lightly at the door.
"Oh thank goodness dear! Come in, come in! I was worried sick that something had happened to you in the forest," said Grandma thinking that the knock was her granddaughter.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The wolf let himself in. Poor Granny did not have time to say another word, before the wolf gobbled her up![/FONT]​
گرگ دويد و به منزل مادر بزرگ رسيد و آهسته در زد
مادربزرگ تصور كرد ، كسي كه در مي زند ، نوه اش است . گفت : اوه عزيزم ! بيا تو . بيا تو . من نگران بودم كه اتفاقي در جنگل برايت رخ داده باشد
گرگ داخل شدو بطرف مادر بزرگ دويد .

مادربزرگ بيچاره دويد و داخل يك كمد شد و درش را بست . گرگ هركار كرد نتواست در كمد را باز كند .

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The wolf let out a satisfied burp, and then poked through Granny's wardrobe to find a nightgown that he liked. He added a frilly sleeping cap, and for good measure, dabbed some of Granny's perfume behind his pointy ears.
A few minutes later, Red Riding Hood knocked on the door. The wolf jumped into bed and pulled the covers over his nose. "Who is it?" he called in a cackly voice.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"It's me, Little Red Riding Hood."[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"Oh how lovely! Do come in, my dear," croaked the wolf.[/FONT]​
When Little Red Riding Hood entered the little cottage, she could scarcely recognize her Grandmother.
گرگ صداي پاي شنل قرمزي را شنيد , به سمت تخت مادر بزرگ دويد لباس خواب مادربزرگ را بر تن كرد و كلاه خواب چين داري را به سر كرد
چند لحظه بعد ، شنل قرمزي در زد .
گرگ به رختخواب پريد و پتو را تا نوك دماغش بالا كشيد و با صدايي لرزان پرسيد : كيه ؟
شنل قرمزي گفت : منم
گرگ گفت : اوه چطوري عزيزم . بيا تو
وقتي شنل قرمزي وارد كلبه شد ، از ديدن مادربرزگش تعجب كرد
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"Grandmother! Your voice sounds so odd. Is something the matter?" she asked.[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"Oh, I just have touch of a cold," squeaked the wolf adding a cough at the end to prove the point.[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"But Grandmother! What big ears you have," said Little Red Riding Hood as she edged closer to the bed.
"The better to hear you with, my dear," replied the wolf.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"But Grandmother! What big eyes you have," said Little Red Riding Hood.[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"The better to see you with, my dear," replied the wolf.[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"But Grandmother! What big teeth you have," said Little Red Riding Hood her voice quivering slightly.[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"The better to eat you with, my dear," roared the wolf and he leapt out of the bed and began to chase the little girl.[/FONT]​
شنل قرمزي پرسيد : مادر بزرگ چرا صداتون اينقدر كلفت شده آيا مشكلي پيش آمده ؟
گرگ ناقلا گفت : من كمي سرما خورده ام و در آخر حرفهايش چند سرفه كرد تا شنل قرمزي شك نكند
شنل قرمزي به تخت نزديكتر شد و گفت : اما مادربزرگ ! چه گوشهاي بزرگي داريد .
گرگ گفت : عزيزم با آن بهتر صداي تو را مي شنوم
شنل قرمزي گفت : اما مادربزرگ ! چه چشمهاي بزرگي داريد .
گرگ گفت : چه بهتر عزيزم با آن بهتر تو را مي بينيم
در حاليكه شنل قرمزي صدايش مي لرزيد گفت : اما مادربرزگ چه دندانهاي بزرگي داريد ؟
گرگ گفت : براي اينكه تو را بهتر بخورم عزيزم . گرگ از تخت بيرون پريد و دنبال شنل قرمزي دويد
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Almost too late, Little Red Riding Hood realized that the person in the bed was not her Grandmother, but a hungry wolf.
She ran across the room and through the door, shouting, "Help! Wolf!" as loudly as she could.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]A woodsman who was chopping logs nearby heard her cry and ran towards the cottage as fast as he could.[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]He grabbed the wolf and made him spit out the poor Grandmother who was a bit frazzled by the whole experience, but still in one piece.[/FONT]​
شنل قرمزي خيلي دير متوجه شده بود ، آن شخصي كه در تخت بود مادربرزگش نيست بلكه يك گرگ گرسنه است .
او بطرف در دويد و با صداي بلند فرياد كشيد : كمك ! گرگ !
مرد جنگلباني كه آن نزديكي ها هيزم مي شكست صداي او را شنيد و تا آنجاي كه در توان داشت با سرعت بطرف كلبه دويد .
مادربزرگ وقتي صداي نوه اش را شنيد و فهميد او در خطر است از كمد بيرون آمد و ملحفه تخت را روي گرگ انداخت با يك چتر كه در داخل كمد گير آورده بود به سر گرگ كوبيد
در همين موقع جنگلبان رسيد و به مادر بزرگ كمك كرد و گرگ را اسير كردند
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"Oh Grandma, I was so scared!" sobbed Little Red Riding Hood, "I'll never speak to strangers or dawdle in the forest again."
"There, there, child. You've learned an important lesson. Thank goodness you shouted loud enough for this kind woodsman to hear you!"
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The woodsman knocked out the wolf and carried him deep into the forest where he wouldn't bother people any longer.[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Little Red Riding Hood and her Grandmother had a nice lunch and a long chat.[/FONT]​
شنل قرمزي بغل مادر بزرگش پريد و در حاليكه خوشحال بود گفت : اوه مادربزرگ من اشتباه كردم ديگر با هيچ غريبه اي صحبت نمي كنم .
جنگلبان گفت : شما بچه ها بايد اين نكته مهم را هيچوقت فراموش نكنيد .
مرد جنگلبان گرگ را از خانه بيرون آورد و به قسمتهاي دور جنگل برد ، جائيكه ديگر او نتواند كسي را اذيت كند .
شنل قرمزي و مادربزرگش يك ناهار خوشمزه خوردند و با هم حرف زدند .

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز

داستان كوتاه مرد و پيله كرم ابريشم به فارسی و انگلیسی - Butterfly Story

small crack appeared on a cocoon. A man sat for hours and watched carefully the struggle of the butterfly to get out of that small crack of cocoon.
Then the butterfly stopped striving. It seemed that she was exhausted and couldn’t go on trying. The man decided to help the poor creature. He widened the crack by scissors. The butterfly came out of cocoon easily, but her body was tiny and her wings were wrinkled.
The ma continued watching the butterfly. He expected to see her wings become expanded to protect her body. But it didn’t happen! As a matter of fact, the butterfly had to crawl on the ground for the rest of her life, for she could never fly.
The kind man didn’t realize that God had arranged the limitation of cocoon and also the struggle for butterfly to get out of it, so that a certain fluid could be discharged from her body to enable her to fly afterward.
Sometimes struggling is the only thing we need to do. If God had provided us with an easy to live without any difficulties then we become paralyzed, couldn’t become strong and could not fly.
شكاف كوچكي بر روي پيله كرم ابريشمي ظلاهر شد. مردي ساعت ها با دقت به تلاش پروانه براي خارج شدن از پيله نگاه كرد. پروانه دست از تلاش برداشت. به نظر مي رسيد خسته شده و نمي تواند به تلاش هايش ادامه دهد. او تصميم گرفت به اين مخلوق كوچك كمك كند. با استفاده از قيچي شكاف را پهن تر كرد. پروانه به راحتي از پيله خارج شد ، اما بدنش كوچك و بال هايش چروكيده بود.مرد به پروانه همچنان زل زده بود . انتظار داشت پروانه براي محافظت از بدنش بال هايش را باز كند. اما اين طور نشد. در حقيقت پروانه مجبور بود باقي عمرش را روي زمين بخزد، و نمي توانست پرواز كند.
مرد مهربان پي نبرد كه خدا محدوديت را براي پيله و تلاش براي خروج را براي پروانه بوجود آورده. به اين صورت كه مايع خاصي از بدنش ترشح مي شود كه او را قادر به پرواز مي كند.
بعضي اوقات تلاش و كوشش تنها چيزي است كه بايد انجام دهيم. اگر خدا آسودگي بدون هيچگونه سختي را براي ما مهيا كرده بود در اين صورت فلج مي شديم و نمي توانستيم نيرومند شويم و پرواز كنيم.

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
Miss Brill Summary دستان کوتاه ترجمه فارسی و بررسی و .. MISS BRILL

ALTHOUGH it was so brilliantly fine–the blue sky powdered with gold and great spots of light like white wine splashed over the Jardins Publiques–Miss Brill was glad that she had decided on her fur. The air was motionless, but when you opened your mouth there was just a faint chill, like a chill from a glass of iced water before you sip, and now and again a leaf came drifting–from nowhere, from the sky. Miss Brill put up her hand and touched her fur. Dear little thing! It was nice to feel it again. She had taken it out of its box that afternoon, shaken out the moth powder, given it a good brush, and rubbed the life back into the dim little eyes. "What has been happening to me?" said the sad little eyes. Oh, how sweet it was to see them snap at her again from the red eiderdown! . . . But the nose, which was of some black composition, wasn't at all firm. It must have had a knock, somehow. Never mind–a little dab of black sealing-wax when the time came–when it was absolutely necessary . . . Little rogue! Yes, she really felt like that about it. Little rogue biting its tail just by her left ear. She could have taken it off and laid it on her lap and stroked it. She felt a tingling in her hands and arms, but that [Page 183] came from walking, she supposed. And when she breathed, something light and sad–no, not sad, exactly–something gentle seemed to move in her bosom.
There were a number of people out this afternoon, far more than last Sunday. And the band sounded louder and ******er. That was because the Season had begun. For although the band played all the year round on Sundays, out of season it was never the same. It was like some one playing with only the family to listen; it didn't care how it played if there weren't any strangers present. Wasn't the conductor wearing a new coat, too? She was sure it was new. He scraped with his foot and flapped his arms like a rooster about to crow, and the bandsmen sitting in the green rotunda blew out their cheeks and glared at the music. Now there came a little "flutey" bit–very pretty!–a little chain of bright drops. She was sure it would be repeated. It was; she lifted her head and smiled.
Only two people shared her "special" seat: a fine old man in a velvet coat, his hands clasped over a huge carved walking-stick, and a big old woman, sitting upright, with a roll of knitting on her embroidered apron. They did not speak. This was disappointing, for Miss Brill always looked forward to the conversation. She had become really quite expert, she thought, at listening as though she didn't listen, at sitting in other people's lives just for a minute while they talked round her. [Page 184]
She glanced, sideways, at the old couple. Perhaps they would go soon. Last Sunday, too, hadn't been as interesting as usual. An Englishman and his wife, he wearing a dreadful Panama hat and she button boots. And she'd gone on the whole time about how she ought to wear spectacles; she knew she needed them; but that it was no good getting any; they'd be sure to break and they'd never keep on. And he'd been so patient. He'd suggested everything–gold rims, the kind that curve round your ears, little pads inside the bridge. No, nothing would please her. "They'll always be sliding down my nose!" Miss Brill had wanted to shake her.
The old people sat on a bench, still as statues. Never mind, there was always the crowd to watch. To and fro, in front of the flower beds and the band rotunda, the couples and groups paraded, stopped to talk, to greet, to buy a handful of flowers from the old beggar who had his tray fixed to the railings. Little children ran among them, swooping and laughing; little boys with big white silk bows under their chins, little girls, little French dolls, dressed up in velvet and lace. And sometimes a tiny staggerer came suddenly rocking into the open from under the trees, stopped, stared, as suddenly sat down "flop," until its small high-stepping mother, like a young hen, rushed scolding to its rescue. Other people sat on the benches and green chairs, but they were nearly always the same, Sunday after Sunday, [Page 185] and–Miss Brill had often noticed–there was something funny about nearly all of them. They were odd, silent, nearly all old, and from the way they stared they looked as though they'd just come from dark little rooms or even–even cupboards!
Behind the rotunda the slender trees with yellow leaves down drooping, and through them just a line of sea, and beyond the blue sky with gold-veined clouds.
Tum-tum-tum tiddle-um! tiddle-um! tum tiddley-um tum ta! blew the band.
Two young girls in red came by and two young soldiers in blue met them, and they laughed and paired and went off arm-in-arm. Two peasant women with funny straw hats passed, gravely, leading beautiful smoke-coloured donkeys. A cold, pale nun hurried by. A beautiful woman came along and dropped her bunch of violets, and a little boy ran after to hand them to her, and she took them and threw them away as if they'd been poisoned. Dear me! Miss Brill didn't know whether to admire that or not! And now an ermine toque and a gentleman in gray met just in front of her. He was tall, stiff, dignified, and she was wearing the ermine toque she'd bought when her hair was yellow. Now everything, her hair, her face, even her eyes, was the same colour as the shabby ermine, and her hand, in its cleaned glove, lifted to dab her lips, was a tiny yellowish paw. Oh, she was so pleased to see him–delighted! She rather thought they were going [Page 186] to meet that afternoon. She described where she'd been–everywhere, here, there, along by the sea. The day was so charming–didn't he agree? And wouldn't he, perhaps? . . . But he shook his head, lighted a cigarette, slowly breathed a great deep puff into her face, and even while she was still talking and laughing, flicked the match away and walked on. The ermine toque was alone; she smiled more brightly than ever. But even the band seemed to know what she was feeling and played more softly, played tenderly, and the drum beat, "The Brute! The Brute!" over and over. What would she do? What was going to happen now? But as Miss Brill wondered, the ermine toque turned, raised her hand as though she'd seen someone else, much nicer, just over there, and pattered away. And the band changed again and played more quickly, more ******ly than ever, and the old couple on Miss Brill's seat got up and marched away, and such a funny old man with long whiskers hobbled along in time to the music and was nearly knocked over by four girls walking a************.
Oh, how fascinating it was! How she enjoyed it! How she loved sitting here, watching it all! It was like a play. It was exactly like a play. Who could believe the sky at the back wasn't painted? But it wasn't till a little brown dog trotted on solemn and then slowly trotted off, like a little "theatre" dog, a little dog that had been drugged, that Miss Brill discovered what it was [Page 187] that made it so exciting. They were all on stage. They weren't only the audience, not only looking on; they were acting. Even she had a part and came every Sunday. No doubt somebody would have noticed if she hadn't been there; she was part of the performance after all. How strange she'd never thought of it like that before! And yet it explained why she made such point of starting from home at just the same time each week–so as not to be late for the performance–and it also explained why she had a queer, shy feeling at telling her English pupils how she spent her Sunday afternoons. No wonder! Miss Brill nearly laughed out loud. She was on the stage. She thought of the old invalid gentleman to whom she read the newspaper four afternoons a week while he slept in the garden. She had got quite used to the frail head on the cotton pillow, the hollowed eyes, the open mouth and the high pinched nose. If he'd been dead she mightn't have noticed for weeks; she wouldn't have minded. But suddenly he knew he was having the paper read to him by an actress! "An actress!" The old head lifted; two points of light quivered in the old eyes. "An actress–are ye?" And Miss Brill smoothed the newspaper as though it were the manuscript of her part and said gently; "Yes, I have been an actress for a long time."
The band had been having a rest. Now they started again. And what they played was warm, [Page 188] sunny, yet there was just a faint chill–a something, what was it?–not sadness–no, not sadness–a something that made you want to sing. The tune lifted, lifted, the light shone; and it seemed to Miss Brill that in another moment all of them, all the whole company, would begin singing. The young ones, the laughing ones who were moving together, they would begin and the men's voices, very resolute and brave, would join them. And then she too, she too, and the others on the benches–they would come in with a kind of accompaniment–something low, that scarcely rose or fell, something so beautiful–moving. . . . And Miss Brill's eyes filled with tears and she looked smiling at all the other members of the company. Yes, we understand, we understand, she thought–though what they understood she didn't know.
Just at that moment a boy and girl came and sat down where the old couple had been. They were beautifully dressed; they were in love. The hero and heroine, of course, just arrived from his father's yacht. And still soundlessly singing, still with that trembling smile, Miss Brill prepared to listen.
"No, not now," said the girl. "Not here, I can't."
"But why? Because of that stupid old thing at the end there?" asked the boy. "Why does she come here at all–who wants her? Why doesn't she keep her silly old mug at home?" [Page 189]
"It's her fu-ur which is so funny," giggled the girl. "It's exactly like a fried whiting."
"Ah, be off with you!" said the boy in an angry whisper. Then: "Tell me, ma petite chère–"
"No, not here," said the girl. "Not yet."
. . . . . . .
On her way home she usually bought a slice of honeycake at the baker's. It was her Sunday treat. Sometimes there was an almond in her slice, sometimes not. It made a great difference. If there was an almond it was like carrying home a tiny present–a surprise–something that might very well not have been there. She hurried on the almond Sundays and struck the match for the kettle in quite a dashing way.
But to-day she passed the baker's by, climbed the stairs, went into the little dark room–her room like a cupboard–and sat down on the red eiderdown. She sat there for a long time. The box that the fur came out of was on the bed. She unclasped the necklet quickly; quickly, without looking, laid it inside.

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
ترجمه کامل داستان
برگردان: ارژنگ درچه‌زاده

با اینکه هوا خیلی عالی بود - آسمان آبی با نقاط درشت نورانی و طلایی که مثل شراب سفید بر باغ ملی افشانده شده بودند- دوشیزه بریل خوشحال بود که توانسته بود تصمیمش را در مورد پوست خزش بگیرد. هوا ساکن بود، اما با دهان باز میشد خنکای ملایمی‌را حس کرد، مثل خنکای لیوان آب یخ قبل از اینکه جرعه ای از آن نوشیده شود، و گهگاهی برگی معلق در هوا می‌آمد، از یک جایی، از آسمان. دوشیزه بریل با دست خزش را لمس کرد. آخی! لمس دوباره آن خیلی لذت داشت. بعد از ظهر همان روز از جعبه درش آورده بود، گرد بید کش را از آن تکانده بود، ماهوت پاک کن بهش زده بود و دوباره به چشمان کوچک کم فروغ آن زندگی بخشیده بود. چشمان کوچک غمگین گفتند:"چه بر سر من آمده بود؟" اوه! چه شیرین بود که دوباره از بستر پرقوی قرمز او را دید می‌زدند. اما بینی اش، که از چیز سیاهی ساخته شده بود، اصلاً سر جایش سفت نبود. حتما یک طوری بهش ضربه خورده بود. عیبی ندارد! یک ذره موم آب بندی مشکی، موقعی که وقتش بشود، وقتی که خیلی لازم باشد.....شیطون کوچولو! آره، واقعا در موردش همین جور احساس می‌کرد. شیطون کوچولویی که دم خودش را درست در کنار گوش چپ او گاز میگرفت. خوب بود پیش تر هم آن را درآورده بود وروی دامنش نوازش کرده بود. در دست ها و بازویش احساس خارش کرد و با خود فکر کرد مال راه رفتن است. وقتی که نفس میکشید چیزی سبک و غمگین – نه! نه دقیقا غمگین!- به نظر می‌آمد که چیز لطیفی روی سینه اش حرکت میکند.

در آن بعد از ظهر جماعتی بیرون بودند، خیلی بیشتر از یکشنبه قبل. و گروه نوازندگان بشاش تر و بلند آواتر به نظر میرسید. دلیلش هم این بود که «فصل» آغاز شده بود. چون گروه نوازندگان در طول سال هر یکشنبه برنامه داشت، اما هیچ وقت خارج از فصل اینطور نبود. مثل کسی که تنها برای افراده خانواده اش می‌نوازد و اگر هیچ غریبه ای حاضر نباشد، اهمیتی ندارد که چطور بنوازد. کتی که رهبر ارکستر به تن داشت نو نبود؟ مطمئنا نو بود.او کف کفشش را به زمین کشید و مانند خروسی که بخواهد بخواند دست هایش را گشود، و نوازندگان که زیر کلاه فرنگی سبزرنگ نشسته بودند لپ های خود را باد کردند و به نت های موسیقی چشم دوختند. صدای فلوت مانندی بلند شد، خیلی زیبا! زنجیره کوچکی از قطعات شفاف. او مطمئن بود که که تکرار میشود. همین طور هم شد. سرش را بلند کرد و لبخند زد.

تنها دو نفر بر روی نیمکت «مخصوص»ش با او شریک شده بودند: پیر مرد ریزه ای با کت مخملی که دست هایش به دور عصای کنده کاری شده حلقه شده بود، و پیرزن چاقی که سیخ نشسته بود وحلقه بافتنی روی پیشبند گل دوزی شده اش قرار داشت. آن‌ها صحبت نمی‌کرند و این دوشیزه بریل را که همیشه مشتاق شنیدن گفتگو بود دلخور می‌کرد. با خود فکر کرد که چه مهارتی پیدا کرده در اینکه وانمود کند که گوش نمی‌کند و در ظرف یک دقیقه که مردم در کنارش صحبت می‌کنند در زندگی آن‌ها شریک شود.

از گوشه چشم نگاهی به زوج پیر انداخت. احتمالا به زودی از آنجا می‌رفتند. یکشنبه پیش هم به دلچسبی همیشه نبود. مردی انگلیسی که کلاه پانامای وحشتناکی به سر داشت و همسرش با چکمه دکمه دار. تمام مدت حرف خانم این بود که عینک لازم دارد، ولی هیچ عینکی را نمی‌پسندید. مطمئنا همه شان شکستنی بودند و هیچ یک درست سر جایش قرار نمی‌گرفت. و آقا خیلی صبر به خرج میداد. هر چیزی را که می‌توانست به خانم پیشنهاد کرد- قاب طلایی، مدلی که به دور گوش می‌پیچد، لایه نرمی‌که در پل عینک تعبیه شده یاشد. نه! هیچ چیز خانم را راضی نمیکرد. "عینک از روی دماغم می‌آید پایین!" دوشیزه بریل دیگر واقعا میخواست یک چیزی بهش بگوید.

زوج سالخورده روی نیمکت نشسته بودند و هنوزهم مثل مجسمه بودند. ولی عیبی نداشت، برای تماشا کردن همیشه جمعیتی وجود دارد. جلو باغچه گل کاری شده و گروه موسیقی، مردم زوج زوج و دسته دسته به این سو و آنسو جولان می‌دادند. می‌ایستادند که باهم حرف بزنند، سلام و احوال پرسی کنند یا از گدایی که سینی اش را به نرده ها نصب کرده بود دسته ای گل بخرند. در میان آن‌ها بچه های کوچک خندان می‌دویدند، پسر بچه ها با پاپیون های بزرگ سفید رنگ زیر چانه شان و دختر بچه ها، عروسک های کوچک فرانسوی، با لباس های توری و مخملی . و گاهی کوچولوی گیجی از زیر درختان به بیرون تلو تلو می‌خورد، می‌ایستاد، با تعجب نگاه می‌کرد تا درحالی که ناگهان" تلپی" زمین می‌خورد، مادر کوچک اندامش با گامهای بلند مثل مرغی جوان با اوقات تلخی وعجله به کمکش بیاید. بقیه مردم روی نیمکتها و صندلی های سبزرنگ نشسته بودند، اما همآن‌هایی بودند که تقریبا هر یکشنبه آنجا بودند. و دوشیزه بریل اغلب متوجه چیزهای جالبی در مورد تقریبا همه آن‌ها میشد. آن‌ها عجیب، ساکت و تقریبا همه پیر بودند و طوری نگاه میکردند که انگار تازه از اتاق های کوچک و تاریک یا حتی - حتی ازتوی گنجه ها- بیرون آمده اند.

پشت کلاه فرنگی، درخت های باریک با برگ های زردی که به پایین آویزان بودند و از میانشان خط دریا پیدا بود، و در فراسوی آن ها آسمان آبی و ابرهایی با رگه های طلایی.

گروه نوازندگان مینواخت: تام تام تام تادالام! تادالام! تام تیدی یام تام تا!

دو دختر جوان قرمزپوش از یک سو و دو سرباز جوان آبی پوش از سوی دیگر، به هم رسیدند. خنده کنان دست در دست هم انداختند و دور شدند.

دو زن روستایی با کلاههای حصیری بامزه، پیشاپیش الاغ های دودی رنگشان، با گام های سنگین رد شدند. راهبه رنگ پریده و نچسبی با عجله گذشت.

زن زیبایی رسید و دسته بنفشه هایش از دستش افتاد، پسر کوچکی دنبالش دوید تا بنفشه ها را به او بدهد، اما زن زیبا آن‌ها را گرفت و انگار که زهرآلود باشند، انداختشان دور. حیف! دوشیزه بریل نمیدانست که کار خوبی بود یا نه. و حالا زنی با کلاه بی لبه از خزقاقم و آقایی خاکستری پوش درست جلو او به هم رسیدند. مرد، بلند قد و جدی و باوقار بود و خانم کلاه بی لبه قاقم را زمانی خریده بود که موهایش بور بودند. حالا دیگر همه چیزش: کلاه، مو، چهره و حتی چشمانش به همان رنگ ژنده قاقمی‌بودند، و دستش را که با دستکش تمیزش بالا آورد و به لب مالید، پنجه ای حقیر و زرد گونه یود. و چقدر هم از دیدن مرد خوشحال و خرسند شد. از قبل به فکرش رسیده بود که در آن بعد از ظهر به ملاقات یکدیگر نائل می‌شوند. از جاهایی که رفته بود تعریف کرد – اینجا، آنجا، تا کنار دریا، همه جا. آیا مرد هم موافق بود که روز دلپذیری است یا نه؟ و آیا مایل بود که....؟ اما مرد سرش را تکان داد، سیگاری روشن کرد و بازدم عمیقی از دود آن را به صورت خانم فوت کرد وحتی با این که زن هنوز داشت صحبت میکرد و میخندید، کبریت را دور انداخت و به راه خود ادامه داد. حالا کلاه قاقمی‌تنها بود؛ لبخندی زد دلپذیر ترازهمیشه. اما به نظر می‌رسید که حتی گروه نوازندگان هم احساس او را درک می‌کرد و ملایم تر و مهربانانه مینواخت. طبل داشت پشت سر هم این طور میزد: " سنگ دل! سنگ دل!". حالا زن چه کارمیکرد؟ بعد ازآن چه می‌شد؟ دوشیزه بریل دراین فکرها بود، که کلاه قاقمی‌برگشت و دستش را بالا آورد و انگار که درست در آن طرف کس خیلی خوب تر دیگری را دیده باشد ، به سرعت دور شد. گروه نوازندگان دوباره آهنگ را تغیییر داد و تندتر و شادتر از همیشه نواخت. زوج سالخورده از نیمکت دوشیزه بریل بلند شدند و قدم زنان رفتند. پیرمرد مضحکی با ریش تنک و بلند چنان هماهنگ با موسیقی می‌لنگید و می‌رفت که نزدیک بود با چهار دختری که شانه به شانه هم حرکت میکردند برخورد کند.

اوه، چه جذاب بود! چقدر برایش لذت بخش بود! چقدر دوست داشت که اینجا بنشیند و همه چیز را تماشا کند! مثل نمایش بود. دقیقا مثل نمایش بود. چه کسی میتوانست باور کند که در پشت صحنه آسمان نقاشی نشده باشد؟ یک سگ کوچک قهوه ای، مثل سگهای کوچک تئاتری که تخدیر شده باشند، داشت موقرانه یورتمه میرفت. و دوشیزه بریل این را که دید تازه فهمید که همین بود که همه چیز را اینطور شگفت انگیز کرده بود. همه اینها بر روی صحنه نمایش بودند. آن‌ها تنها تماشاگر و ناظر نبودند، آن‌ها خودشان بازیگر بودند. حتی خود دوشیزه بریل هم هر یکشنبه نقشی را بر عهده داشت. بی شک اگر یک روز نمی‌آمد کسی متوجه غیبتش میشد.

هر چه باشد، او هم بخشی از نمایش بود. چقدرعجیب که تا حالا این طوری فکر نکرده بود! در واقع به همین دلیل بود که هر هفته در همین ساعت از خانه به راه می‌افتاد تا با تاخیر در صحنه نمایش حاضر نشود و برای همین بود که هر هفته با احساس شرم و ناراحتی برای شاگردان انگلیسی اس تعریف می‌کرد که بعد از ظهر یکشنبه گذشته را چطور گذرانده است. پس اینطور! دوشیزه بریل با صدای تقریبا بلند خندید. او روی صحنه نمایش بود. یاد پیرمرد علیلی افتاد که چهار بعد از ظهر در هفته برایش - در حالی که در باغ خواب بود - روزنامه میخواند. او به سر نحیفش روی بالش پنبه ای، چشمان گود افتاده اش، دهان باز و دماغ بلند و باریکش کاملا عادت کرده بود. اگر پیرمرد می‌مرد او تا چند هفته نمی‌فهمید و توجهش جلب نمی‌شد! ولی پیرمرد ناگهان متوجه شد که کسی که برایش روزنامه میخواند یک بازیگر است. "بازیگر!" کله پیر از روی بالش بلند شد، دو نقطه نور در چشمان پیرش لرزیدند. " تو بازیگر هستی؟" و دوشیزه بریل روزنامه را صاف کرد انگار که متن نمایش اوست و به نرمی‌گفت: "بله، من خیلی وقته که بازیگر هستم."

گروه نوازندگان در حال استراحت بود. حالا دوباره مشغول شدند. چیزی که مینواختند گرم و آفتابی بود، اما یک جور سردی ملایمی‌هم در آن بود. این چه میتوانست باشد؟ اندوه نبود – نه اندوه نبود – چیزی بود که باعث می‌شد احساس کنی می‌خواهی آواز بخوانی. طنین بالاتر و بالاتر می‌رفت، نور می‌تابید و دوشیزه بریل حس کرد که الان یکدفعه تمام آن ها، همه بازیگران، مشغول خواندن خواهند شد. اول جوان ها، آن هایی که با هم راه می‌رفتند و می‌خندیدند، شروع خواهند کرد و بعد صدای دلیرانه و مصمم مردان هم به آنان خواهد پیوست. و بعد خود دوشیزه بریل هم ، خود او هم، و بقیه که روی نیمکت ها نشسته بودند هم با آن‌ها همراه خواهند شد. تم ضعیفی که خیلی کم بالا و پایین می‌شد، چیزی بسیار زیبا – هیجان آور....چشمان دوشیزه بریل پر از اشک شد و با لبخند به دیگر هم آوازان نگاه کرد. با خود فکر کرد: ما درک می‌کنیم، ما درک می‌کنیم – در حالی که نمی‌دانست بقیه چه چیزی درک می‌کنند.

در همین لحظه دختر و پسری رسیدند و در جایی نشستند که پیشتر زوج پیر نشسته بودند. آن‌ها لباس های زیبایی به تن داشتند و عاشق هم بودند. این قهرمان و شیردختر، حتما تازه از قایق پدر پسر پیاده شده بودند. و دوشیزه بریل، همچنان که بی صدا آواز می‌خواند، با همان تبسم لرزان آماده گوش دادن شد.

دختر گفت:"نه، الان نه ... اینجا نه، نمی‌تونم."

پسر پرسید: "آخه چرا؟ به خاطر اون پیر احمق که اون ته نشسته؟ ... اصلاً برا چی میاد اینجا؟ کی اونو اینجا می‌خواد؟ چرا اون قیافه پیر احمقانه شو تو خونه نگه نمی‌داره؟"

دختر با خنده گفت:" خزززززش چقدر خنده داره! درست مثل ماهی سرخ شده می‌مونه."

پسر با پچ پچ غضب آلودی گفت: "اه! برو پی کارت" بعد گفت" ma petite chère(کوچولوی عزیزمن)، بگو که ..."

دختر گفت:" نه، اینجا نه، هنوز نه."

دوشیزه بریل همیشه سر راهش به خانه یک قطعه کیک عسلی از نانوایی می‌خرید. این سور چرانی یکشنبه هایش بود. گاهی در کیکش بادام هم بود، گاهی هم نبود. و این برایش خیلی فرق می‌کرد. بادام اگر بود برایش مثل این بود که دارد بک جور هدیه کوچک، یک مژدگانی به خانه می‌برد، چیزی که خوب ممکن بود در خانه نباشد. در یکشنبه های بادام دار به شتاب و با زنده دلی، کبریتی زیر کتری روشن میکرد.

اما امروز از نانوایی گذشت، از پله ها بالا رفت و داخل اتاق کوچک تاریک شد- اتاقش که مثل گنجه بود – و روی بستر پرقوی قرمز نشست. مدت زیادی همان جا نشست. جعبه ای که پوست خز از آن درآمده بود روی تخت بود. تند و تند گره ی بند آن را از گردن باز کرد و به سرعت، بدون آن که نگاهش کند، آن را توی جعبه گذاشت. ولی وقتی که چفت جعبه را بست احساس کرد صدای گریه چیزی را می‌شنود.

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
Miss Williams was a teacher, and there were thirty small children in her class. They were nice children, and Miss Williams liked all of them, but they often lost clothes

It was winter, and the weather was very cold. The children's mothers always sent them to school with warm coats and hats and gloves. The children came into the classroom in the morning and took off their coats, hats and gloves. They put their coats and hats on hooks on the wall, and they put their gloves in the pockets of their coats

Last Tuesday Miss Williams found two small blue gloves on the floor in the evening, and in the morning she said to the children, 'Whose gloves are these?', but no one answered

Then she looked at Dick. 'Haven't you got blue gloves, Dick?' she asked him

'Yes, miss,' he answered, 'but those can't be mine. I've lost mine'

خانم ويليامز يك معلم بود، و سي كودك در كلاسش بودند. آن*ها بچه*هاي خوبي بودند، و خانم ويليامز همه*ي آن*ها را دوست داشت، اما آن ها اغلب لباس ها ي خود را گم مي كردند.

زمستان بود، و هوا خيلي سرد بود. مادر بچه ها هميشه آنها را با كت گرم و كلاه و دستكش به مدرسه مي فرستادند. بچه ها صبح داخل كلاس مي آمدند و كت، كلاه و دستكش هايشان در مي آوردند. آن ها كت و كلاهشان را روي چوب لباسي كه بر روي ديوار بود مي*گذاشتند، و دستكش ها را نيز در جيب كتشان مي ذاشتند.

سه شنبه گذشته هنگام غروب خانم ويليامز يك جفت دستكش كوچك آبي بر روي زمين پيدا كرد، و صبح روز بعد به بچه ها گفت، اين دستكش چه كسي است؟ اما كسي جوابي نداد.

در آن هنگام به ديك نگاه كرد و از او پرسيد. ديك، دستكش هاي تو آبي نيستند؟

او پاسخ داد. بله، خانم ولي اين ها نمي تونند براي من باشند. چون من براي خودمو گم كردم.

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
GIFTS FOR MOTHER

Four brothers left home for college, and they became successful doctors and lawyers and prospered. Some years later, they chatted after having dinner together. They discussed the gifts that they were able to give to their elderly mother, who lived far away in another city.
The first said, “I had a big house built for Mama. The second said, “I had a hundred thousand dollar theater built in the house. The third said, “I had my Mercedes dealer deliver her an SL600 with a chauffeur. The fourth said, “Listen to this. You know how Mama loved reading the Bible and you know she can’t read it anymore because she can’t see very well. I met this monk who told me about a parrot that can recite the entire Bible. It took 20 monks 12 years to teach him. I had to pledge them $100,000 a year for 20 years to the church, but it was worth it. Mama just has to name the chapter and verse and the parrot will recite it.” The other brothers were impressed.
After the holidays Mama sent out her Thank You notes. She wrote: Dear Milton, the house you built is so huge. I live in only one room, but I have to clean the whole house. Thanks anyway.
Dear Mike, you gave me an expensive theater with Dolby sound, it could hold 50 people, but all my friends are dead, I’ve lost my hearing and I’m nearly blind. I’ll never use it. But thank you for the gesture just the same.
Dear Marvin, I am too old to travel. I stay home, I have my groceries delivered, so I never use the Mercedes … and the driver you hired is a big jerk. But the thought was good. Thanks.
Dearest Melvin, you were the only son to have the good sense to give a little thought to your gift. The chicken was delicious. Thank you.”

چهار برادر ، خانه شان را به قصد تحصیل ترک کردند و دکتر،قاضی و آدمهای موفقی شدند. چند سال بعد،آنها بعد از شامی که باهم داشتند حرف زدند.اونا درمورد هدایایی که تونستن به مادر پیرشون که دور از اونها در شهر دیگه ای زندگی می کرد ،صحبت کردن.
اولی گفت: من خونه بزرگی برای مادرم ساختم . دومی گفت: من تماشاخانه(سالن تئاتر) یکصد هزار دلاری در خانه ساختم. سومی گفت : من ماشین مرسدسی با راننده کرایه کردم که مادرم به سفر بره.
چهارمی گفت: گوش کنید، همتون می دونید که مادر چقدر خوندن کتاب مقدس رو دوست داره، و میدونین که نمی تونه هیچ چیزی رو خوب بخونه چون جشماش نمیتونه خوب ببینه . شماها میدونید که مادر چقدر خوندن کتاب مقدس را دوست داشت و میدونین هیچ وقت نمی تونه بخونه ، چون چشماش خوب نمی بینه. من ، راهبی رو دیدم که به من گفت یه طوطی هست که میتونه تمام کتاب مقدس رو حفظ بخونه . این طوطی با کمک بیست راهب و در طول دوازده سال اینو یاد گرفت. من ناچارا تعهد کردم به مدت بیست سال و هر سال صد هزار دلار به کلیسا بپردازم. مادر فقط باید اسم فصل ها و آیه ها رو بگه و طوطی از حفظ براش می خونه. برادرای دیگه تحت تاثیر قرار گرفتن.
پس از ایام تعطیل، مادر یادداشت تشکری فرستاد. اون نوشت: میلتون عزیز، خونه ای که برام ساختی خیلی بزرگه .من فقط تو یک اتاق زندگی می کنم ولی مجبورم تمام خونه رو تمییز کنم.به هر حال ممنونم.
مایک عزیز،تو به من تماشاخانه ای گرونقیمت با صدای دالبی دادی.اون ،میتونه پنجاه نفرو جا بده ولی من همه دوستامو از دست دادم ، من شنوایییم رو از دست دادم و تقریبا ناشنوام .هیچ وقت از اون استفاده نمی کنم ولی از این کارت ممنونم.
ماروین عزیز، من خیلی پیرم که به سفر برم.من تو خونه می مونم ،مغازه بقالی ام رو دارم پس هیچ وقت از مرسدس استفاده نمی کنم. راننده ای که کرایه کردی یه احمق واقعیه. اما فکرت خوب بود ممنونم
ملوین عزیزترینم، تو تنها پسری بودی که درک داشتی که کمی فکر بابت هدیه ات بکنی. جوجه خوشمزه بود. ممنونم.

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
THE APPLE TREE

Peter climbed the wall to reach the apples that were growing on the apple tree on the other side of the wall. He picked half-a-dozen and hid them in his pockets

As he was jumping down again he slipped and fell. The fruit in his pockets was squashed. He did not hurt himself, but he could not eat the apples either

He ran home and quickly washed his trousers before his mother would find out what had happened

درخت سیب

پيتر از ديوار براي دسترسي به سيب هايي كه روي درخت آن طرف ديوار روييده بودند بالا رفت. او نيم جين چيد و در جيبش مخفي كرد.

هنگامي كه مي*خواست دوباره پايين بيايد پايش سر خورد و افتاد. ميوه در جيبش له شد. او به خودش صدمه نزد، اما هرگز نتوانست سيب*ها را بخورد.

او دويد خانه و قبل از اينكه مادرش بفهمد چه اتفاقي افتاده است به سرعت شلوارش را شست.

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
George was sixty years old, and he was ill. He was always tired, and his face was always very red. He did not like doctors, but last month his wife said to him, 'don’t be stupid, George. Go and see Doctor Brown.
George said, 'No,' but last week he was worse, and he went to the doctor.
Dr Brown examined him and then said to him, 'You drink too much. Stop drinking whisky, and drink milk.'
George liked whisky, and he did not like milk. 'I'm not a baby!' he always said to his wife.
Now he looked at Dr Brown and said, 'But drinking milk is dangerous, doctor’.
The doctor laughed and said, 'Dangerous? How can drinking milk be dangerous?’
'Well, doctor,' George said, 'it killed one of my best friends last year.'
The doctor laughed again and said, 'How did it do that?'
'The cow fell on him,' George said.

جرج شصت ساله و مريض بود. او هميشه خسته بود، و صورت او هميشه قرمز بود. او از دكترها خوشش نمي*آمد، اما ماه گذشته همسرش به او گفت: احمق نشو، جرج. و برو پيش دكتر بروان.
جرج گفت: نه. اما هفته*ي گذشته او بدتر شد و به دكتر رفت.
دكتر بروان او را معاينه كرد و به وي گفت: شما خيلي مي*نوشيد. ديگر ويسكي ننوشيد، و شير بنوشيد.
جرج ويسكي دوست داشت و شير دوست نداشت. او هميشه به همسرش مي*گفت: من بچه نيستم!.
حالا به دكتر بروان نگاه كرد و گفت: اما دكتر، خوردن شير خطرناك است.
دكتر خنديد و گفت: خطرناك؟ خوردن شير چگونه مي*تونه خطرناك باشه؟
جرج گفت: درسته، دكتر، سال گذشته يكي از بهترين دوستانِ منو كشت.
دكتر دوباره خنديد و گفت: چطوري؟ (چطوري اين كارو كرد)
جرج گفت: گاو افتاد روي اون.

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
Destiny

During a momentous battle, a Japanese general decided to attack even though his army was greatly outnumbered. He was confident they would win, but his men were filled with doubt.

On the way to the battle, they stopped at a religious shrine. After praying with the men, the general took out a coin and said, "I shall now toss this coin. If it is heads, we shall win. If it is tails we shall lose."

"Destiny will now reveal itself."

He threw the coin into the air and all watched intently as it landed. It was heads. The soldiers were so overjoyed and filled with confidence that they vigorously attacked the enemy and were victorious.

After the battle. a lieutenant remarked to the general, "No one can change destiny."

"Quite right," the general replied as he showed the lieutenant the coin, which had heads on both sides

سرنوشت
در طول نبردی مهم و سرنوشت ساز ژنرالی ژاپنی تصمیم گرفت با وجود سربازان بسیار زیادش حمله کند. مطمئن بود که پیروز می شوند اما سربازانش تردید داشتندو دودل بودند.

در مسیر میدان نبرد در معبدی مقدس توقف کردند. بعد از فریضه دعا که همراه سربازانش انجام شد ژنرال سکه ای در آورد و گفت:" سکه را به هوا پرتاب خواهم کرد اگر رو آمد، می بریم اما اگر شیر بیاید شکست خواهیم خورد".

"سرنوشت خود مشخص خواهد کرد".

سکه را به هوا پرتاب کرد و همگی مشتاقانه تماشا کردند تا وقتی که بر روی زمین افتاد. رو بود. سربازان از فرط شادی از خود بی خود شدند و کاملا اطمینان پیدا کردند و با قدرت به دشمن حمله کردند و پیروز شدند.

بعد از جنگ ستوانی به ژنرال گفت: "سرنوشت را نتوان تغییر داد(انتخاب کرد با یک سکه)"

ژنرال در حالی که سکه ای که دو طرف آن رو بود را به ستوان نشان می داد جواب داد:" کاملا حق با شماست".

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
The year is 1853, and the palace is California. People are coming to California from many countries. They are looking for gold. They think that they are going to get
rich. Levi Strauss is one of these people .He’s twenty-four years old, and he too want to get rich .He is from Germany. He has cloth from Germany to make tents for the gold miners

A man asks him: What are you going to do with that cloth

Strauss answers: I’m going to make tents

The man says: I don’t need a tent, but I want a strong pair of pants. Look at my pants they’re full of holes

Levi makes a pair of pants from the strong cloth. The man is happy with the pants. They’re a big success. Soon everyone wants a pair of pants just like the man’s pair. Levi makes one more, ten more hundreds more thousands more. That’s the history of your jeans

سال 1853 مردم از برخی کشورها به کالیفرنیا می آمدند.آنها به دنبال طلا میگشتند.آنها به پولدار شدن فکر میکردند.لیوای استروس یکی از آنها بود.او 24 سال داشت و آلمانی تبار بود و نیز مانند بقیه به دنبال پولدار شدن و کشف طلا...

او پارچه ای از کشور آلمان برای ساخت چادر (خیمه گاه) در معدن طلا با خود آورده بود.

مردی از او پرسید: میخواهی با این پارچه چه کار کنی؟

او گفت: میخواهم چادر (خیمه گاه) بسازم.

مرد گفت: من به چادر نیاز ندارم اما من یک شلوار خیلی مقاوم لازم دارم!

شلوار من رو نگاه کن.پر از سوراخ است!

لیوای استروس شلواری از آن پارچه ی مقاوم ساخت.آن مرد بابت شلوار خوشحال شد. آنها به یک موفقیت بزرگ دست پیدا کردند.به زودی تک تک مردم خواستار شلواری فقط با جنس آن پارچه ی آلمانی شدند! لیوای از آن شلوار ده ها ، صد ها و هزار ها ساخت. و این بود داستان ساخت و پیدایش شلوار جین شما!

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
حد و مرز دوست داشتن و عشق / USE vs. LOVE دوست داشتن در مقابل استفاده كردن

USE vs. LOVE

دوست داشتن در مقابل استفاده كردن

زمانيكه مردي در حال پوليش كردن اتوموبيل جديدش بود كودك 4 ساله اش تكه سنگي را بداشت و بر روي بدنه اتومبيل خطوطي را انداخت.

While a man was polishing his new car, his 4 yr old son picked up a stone and scratched lines on the side of the car.

مرد آنچنان عصباني شد كه دست پسرش را در دست گرفت و چند بار محكم پشت دست او زد بدون انكه به دليل خشم متوجه شده باشد كه با آچار پسرش را تنبيه نموده

In anger, the man took the child's hand and hit it many times not realizing he was using a wrench.

در بيمارستان به سبب شكستگي هاي فراوان چهار انشگت دست پسر قطع شد
وقتي كه پسر چشمان اندوهناك پدرش را ديد از او پرسيد "پدر كي انگشتهاي من در خواهند آمد" !

When the child saw his father with painful eyes he asked, 'Dad when will my fingers grow back?'
آن مرد آنقدر مغموم بود كه هچي نتوانست بگويد به سمت اتوبيل برگشت وچندين باربا لگدبه آن زد

The man was so hurt and speechless; he went back to his car and kicked it a lot of times.
حيران و سرگردان از عمل خويش روبروي اتومبيل نشسته بود و به خطوطي كه پسرش روي آن انداخته بود نگاه مي كرد . او نوشته بود " دوستت دارم پدر"

Devastated by his own actions, sitting in front of that car he looked at the scratches; the child had written 'LOVE YOU DAD

روز بعد آن مرد خودكشي كرد

The next day that man committed suicide. . .
خشم و عشق حد و مرزي ندارند . دومي ( عشق) را انتخاب كنيد تا زندگي دوست داشتني داشته باشيد و اين را به ياد داشته باشيدكه

Anger and Love have no limits; choose the latter tohave a beautiful, lovely life & remember this:
اشياء براي استفاد شدن و انسانها براي دوست داشتن مي باشند

Things are to be used and people are to be loved.
در حاليكه امروزه از انسانها استفاده مي شود و اشياء دوست داشته مي شوند.

The problem in today's world is that people are used while things are loved.
همواره در ذهن داشته باشيد كه:

Let's try always to keep this thought in mind:
اشياء براي استفاده شدن و انسانها براي دوست داشتن مي باشند

Things are to be used,People are to be loved.
مراقب افكارتان باشيد كه تبديل به گفتارتان ميشوند

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
مراقب گفتارتان باشيد كه تبديل به رفتار تان مي شود

Watch your words; they become actions.
مراقب رفتار تان باشيدكه تبديل به عادت مي شود

Watch your actions; they become habits.
مراقب عادات خود باشيدشخصيت شما مي شود

Watch your habits; they become character;
مراقب شخصيت خود باشيدكه سرنوشت شما مي شود

Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
خوشحالم كه دوستي اين پيام را براي ياد آوري به من فرستاد

I'm glad a friend forwarded this to me as a reminder.
اميدوارم كه روز خوبي داشته و هر مشكلي كه با آن روبرو هستيد

I hope you have a good day no matter what problems you may face.
آخرين روز آن باشد و تمام شود

It's the only day you'll have before it's over

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز

One Rose for Unconditional Love
یک شاخه رز برای عشق بی قید و شرط

One Rose For Financial Wealth
یکی برای ثروت و دارایی

One for Everlasting Happiness
یکی برای شادی بی پایان

Several for Success
چند تا برای موفقیت

One for Knowledge
یکی برای دانش

One for Beauty, inner and outer
یکی برای زیبایی سیرت و صورت

Many for Family
یک عالمه برای خانواده

One for Honesty
یکی برای راستی

And the last one for a long and healthy life
و آخری برای زندگی شادو طولانی

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
این یک مکالمه واقعی است / گفتگوی آمریكایی ها و اسپانیایی ها روی فركانس اضطراری كشتیرانی

گفتگوی آمریكایی ها و اسپانیایی ها روی فركانس اضطراری كشتیرانی

گفتگویی كه واقعاً روی فركانس اضطراری كشتیرانی، روی كانال ۱۰۶ سواحل Finisterra Galicia میان اسپانیایی.ها و آمریكایی.ها در ۱۶ اكتبر ۱۹۹۷ضبط شده.است.

اسپانیایی.ها (با سر و صدای متن): A-853 با شما صحبت می.كند. لطفاً ۱۵درجه به جنوب بچرخید تا از تصادف اجتناب كنید. شما دارید مستقیماً به طرفما می.آیید. فاصله ۲۵ گره دریایی.

آمریكایی.ها (با سر و صدای متن): ما به شما پیشنهاد می.كنیم ۱۵ درجه به شمال بچرخید تا با ما تصادف نكنید.

اسپانیایی.ها: منفی. تكرار می.كنیم ۱۵ درجه به جنوب بچرخید تا تصادف نكنید.

آمریكایی.ها (یك صدای دیگر): كاپیتان یك كشتی ایالات متحده آمریكا با شما صحبت می.كند. به شما اخطار می.كنیم ۱۵ درجه بشمال بچرخید تا تصادف نشود.

اسپانیایی.ها: این پیشنهاد نه عملی است و نه مقرون به صرفه. به شما پیشنهاد می.كنیم ۱۵ درجه به جنوب بچرخید تا با ما تصادف نكنید.

آمریكایی.ها (با صدای عصبانی): كاپیتان ریچارد جیمس هاوارد، فرمانده ناو هواپیمابر یو اس اس لینكلن با شما صحبت می.كند. ۲ رزم ناو، ۵ ناو منهدم كننده، ۴ ناوشكن، ۶ زیردریایی و تعداد زیادی كشتی.های پشتیبانی ما را اسكورت می.كنند. به شما پیشنهاد نمی.كنم، به شما دستور می.دهم راهتان را ۱۵ درجه به شمال عوض كنید. در غیر اینصورت مجبور هستیم اقدامات لازمی برای تضمین امنیت این ناو اتخاذ كنیم. لطفاً بلافاصله اطاعت كنید و از سر راه ما كنار روید !!!

اسپانیایی.ها: خو آن مانوئل سالاس آلكانتارا با شما صحبت می.كند. ما دو نفر هستیم و یك سگ، ۲ وعده غذا، ۲ قوطی آبجو و یك قناری كه فعلاً خوابیده ما را اسكورت می.كنند. پشتیبانی ما ایستگاه رادیویی زنجیره دیال ده لاكورونیا و كانال ۱۰۶ اضطراری دریایی است. ما به هیچ طرفی نمی.رویم زیرا ما روی زمین قرار داریم و در ساختمان فانوس دریایی A-853 Finisterra روی سواحل سنگی گالیسیا هستیم و هیچ تصوری هم نداریم كه این چراغ دریایی در كدام سلسله مراتب از چراغ.های دریایی اسپانیا قرار دارد. شما می.توانید هر اقدامی كه به صلاحتان باشد را اتخاذ كنید و هر غلطی كه می.خواهید بكنید تا امنیت كشتی كثافتتان را كه بزودی روی صخره.ها متلاشی می.شود تضمین كنید. بنابراین بازهم اصرار می.كنیم و به شما پیشنهاد می.كنیم عاقلانه.ترین كار را بكنید و راه خودتان را ۱۵ درجه جنوبی تغییردهید تا از تصادف اجتناب كنید.

آمریكایی.ها: آها. باشه. گرفتیم. ممنون

The U.S. Navy versus the Spaniards

REAL CONVERSATION ENGRAVING OF THE FREQUENCY OF MARITIME EMERGENCY CHANNEL 106, IN THE COAST OF FINISTERRA (GALICIA), BETWEEN SPANIARDS AND AMERICAN, IN OCTOBER 16th OF 1997

Spanish: ... This the TO-853, please deviate your course fifteen south degrees to avoid collision with us.. You approach direct toward us, distance 25 nautical miles.

American: ... We recommend that you deviate your course fifteen north degrees to avoid collision.

Spanish: Negative. We repeat, please deviate their course fifteen south degrees to avoid collision.

American: (another American voice) You're speaking to the Captain of a ship of the United States of America. We insist, deviate your course fifteen north degrees to avoid collision.

Spanish: We consider your suggestion neither feasible nor convenient, we suggest that you deviate your course fifteen south degrees to avoid to collide with us.

American: (very hot) YOU ARE SPEAKING TO CAPTAIN RICHARD JAMES HOWARD, COMMANDER OF THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, OF THE NAVY OF THE E.E.U.U., THE SECOND LARGER SHIP OF WAR OF THE AMERICAN FLEET. WE ARE ESCORTED BY TWO BATTLESHIPS, SIX DESTROYERS, FIVE CRUISERS, FOUR SUBMARINES AND NUMEROUS EMBARKATIONS OF SUPPORT. WE ARE DIRECTED TOWARDS THE WATER OF THE PERSIAN GULF TO PREPARE MILITARY MANEUVERS BEFORE AN EVENTUAL OFFENSIVE OF IRAQ. I DO NOT SUGGEST. I ORDER YOU TO DEVIATE YOUR COURSE FIFTEEN NORTH DEGREES! !!!! OTHERWISE WE WILL BE OBLIGED TO TAKE THE MEASURES THAT BE NECESSARY TO GUARANTEE THE SECURITY OF THIS SHIP AND OF THE FORCE OF THIS COALITION. YOU BELONG TO AN ALLIED COUNTRY, MEMBER OF THE NATO AND OF THIS COALITION.. PLEASE, OBEY IMMEDIATELY AND REMOVE YOURSELVES FROM OUR PATH! !!!!

Spanish: You are speaking to Juan Manuel Rooms Alcбntara. We are two people. We are escorted by our dog, our food, two beers and a canary that now this sleeping. We have the support of Chain Dial of The Coruсa and the channel 106 of maritime emergency. We can direct to no side since we speak firmly from land, we are in the lighthouse TO-853 Finisterra, off the coast of Galicia. We do not have any idea in which place we are in the ranking of Spanish lighthouses. You can take all the f***ing measures that you consider opportune to guarantee the security of your f***ng ship, which-I repeat- is headed straight towards our rocky shores. But we still insist and we suggest that the best, healthy and more recommendable solution is that you deviate your course fifteen south degrees to avoid collision... .!!!!

American: ok, understood, thanks

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
THE SEA CHANGE
By Ernest Hemingway​
"ALL right said the man. "What about it?"
"No," said the girl, "I can't."
"You mean you won't."
"I can't," said the girl. "That's all that I mean."
"You mean that you won't."
"All right," said the girl. "You have it your own way."
"I don't have it my own way. I wish to God I did."
"You did for a long time," the girl said.
It was early, and there was no one in the cafe except the barman and these two who sat together at a table in the corner. It was the end of the summer and they were both tanned, so that they looked out of place in Paris. The girl wore a tweed suit, her skin was a smooth golden brown, her blonde hair was cut short and grew beautifully away from her forehead. The man looked at her.
"I'll kill her," he said.
"Please don't," the girl said. She had very fine hands and the man looked at them. They were slim and brown and very beautiful.
"I will. I swear to God I will."
"It won't make you happy."
"Couldn't you have gotten into something else? Couldn't you have gotten into some other jam?"
"It seems not," the girl said. "What are you going to do about it?"
"I told you."
"No; I mean really."
"I don't know," he said. She looked at him and put out her hand. "Poor old Phil," she said. He looked at her hands, but he did not touch her hand with his.
"No, thanks," he said.
"It doesn't do any good to say I'm sorry?"
"No."
"Nor to tell you how it is?"
"I'd rather not hear."
"I love you very much."
"Yes, this proves it."
"I'm sorry," she said, "if you don't understand."
"I understand. That's the trouble. I understand."
"You do," she said. "That makes it worse, of course."
"Sure," he said, looking at her. "I'll understand all the time. All day and all night. Especially all night. I'll understand. You don't have to worry about that."
"I'm sorry," she said.
"If it was a man—"
"Don't say that. It wouldn't be a man. You know that. Don't you trust me?"
"That's funny," he said. "Trust you. That's really funny."
"I'm sorry," she said. "That's all I seem to say. But when we do understand each other, there's no use to pretend we don't."
"No," he said. "I suppose not."
"I'll come back if you want me."
"No. I don't want you."
Then they did not say anything for a while.
"You don't believe I love you, do you?" the girl asked.
"Let's not talk rot," the man said.
"Don't you really believe I love you?"
"Why don't you prove it?"
"You didn't use to be that way. You never asked me to prove anything. That isn't polite."
"You're a funny girl."
"You're not. You're a fine man and it breaks my heart to go off and leave you--"
"You have to, of course."
"Yes," she said. "I have to and you know it."
He did not say anything and she looked at him and put her hand out again. The barman was at the far end of the bar. His face was white and so was his jacket. He knew these two and thought them a handsome young couple. He had seen many handsome young couples break up and new couples form that were never so handsome long. He was not thinking about this, but about a horse. In half an hour he could send across the street to find if the horse had won.
"Couldn't you just be good to me and let me go?" the girl asked.
"What do you think I'm going to do?"
Two people came in the door and went up to the bar.
"Yes, sir," the barman took the orders.
"You can't forgive me? When you know about it?" the girl asked.
"No."
"You don't think things we've had and done should make any difference in understanding?"
"'Vice is a monster of such fearful mien, " the young man said bitterly, "that to be something or other needs but to be seen. Then we something, something, then embrace." He could not remember the words. "I can't quote," he said.
"Let's not say vice," she said. "That's not very polite."
"Perversion, " he said.
"James," one of the clients addressed the barman, "you're looking very well."
"You're looking very well yourself," the barman said.
"Old James, " the other client said. "You're fatter, James."
"It's terrible," the barman said, "the way I put it on."
"Don't neglect to insert the brandy, James," the first client said.
"No, sir," said the barman. "Trust me!"
The two at the bar looked over at the two at the table, then looked back at the barman again. Towards the barman was the comfortable direction.
"I'd like it better if you didn't use words like that," the girl said. "There's no necessity to use a word like that."
"What do you want me to call it?"
"You don't have to call it. You don't have to put any name to it."
"That's the name for it."
"No," she said. "We're made up of all sorts of things. You've known that. You've used it well enough."
"You don't have to say that again."
"Because that explains it to you."
"All right," he said. "All right."
"You mean all wrong. I know. It's all wrong. But I'll come back. I told you I'd come back. I'll come back right away."
"No, you won't."
"I'll come back."
"No, you won't. Not to me."
"You'll see."
"Yes," he said. "That's the hell of it. You probably will."
"Of course I will."
"Go on, then."
"Really?" She could not believe him, but her voice was happy.
"Go on," his voice sounded strange to him. He was looking at her, at the way her mouth went and the curve of her cheek bones, at her eyes and at the way her hair grew on her forehead and at the edge of her ear and at her neck.
"Not really. Oh, you're too sweet," she said. "You're too good to me."
"And when you come back tell me all about it." His voice sounded very strange. He did not recognize it. She looked at him quickly. He was settled into something.
"You want me to go?" she asked seriously.
"Yes," he said seriously. "Right away." His voice was not the same, and his mouth was very dry. "Now," he said.
She stood up and went out quickly. She did not look back at him. He watched her go. He was not the same looking man as he had been before he had told her to go. He got up from the table, picked up the two checks and went over to the bar with them.
"I'm a different man, James," he said to the barman. "You see in me quite a different man."
"Yes, sir?" said James.
"Vice," said the brown young man, "is a very strange thing, James." He looked out the door. He saw her going down the street. As he looked in the glass, he saw he was really quite a different looking man. The other two at the bar moved down to make room for him.
"You're right there, sir," James said.
The other two moved down a little more, so that he would be quite comfortable. The young man saw himself in the mirror behind the bar. "I said I was a different man, James," he said. Looking into the mirror he saw that this was quite true.
"You look very well, sir," James said. "You must have had a very good summer."

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
ارنست همینگوی​
ترجمه: احمد گلشیری​

مرد گفت: «خب، یه چیزی بگو.»
دختر گفت: «نه، نمی تونم.»
«منظورت اینه که نمی خوای درباره ش حرف بزنی؟»
دختر گفت: «نمی تونم، منظورم همینه.»
« منظورت اینه که نمی خوای درباره ش حرف بزنی؟»
دختر گفت: «آره هر جور دوست داری برداشت کن.»
«نمی خوام هر جور دوست دارم برداشت کنم. کاش می خواستم.»
دختر گفت: «تو خیلی وقته برداشت تو کرده ای.»
اول وقت بود و به جز متصدی فروشگاه و آن دو نفر که با هم در گوشه‏ی کافه سر میز نشسته بودند کسی در کافه نبود. آخرهای تابستان بود و آن ها هر دو برنزه شده بودند، بنابراین ظاهرشان نشان نمی داد که پاریسی باشند. دختر کت و شلوار توئیدی پوشیده بود، پوستش قهوه ای مایل به طلایی یک دست بود، گیسوان بلوندش کوتاه بود و از توی پیشانی‏اش به زیبایی بالا زده بود. مرد نگاهش کرد.
گفت: «من این دختره رو می کشم.»
دختر گفت: «این کارو نکن.» دست های دختر زیبا بود و مرد چشم از آن ها برنمی‏داشت. دست های باریک و فهوه ای و بسیار زیبا بود.
«این کارو می کنم. به خدا قسم می کنم.»
این کار خوشحالت نمی کنه.»
«نمی شه رو یه چیز دیگه انگشت بذاری؟ نمی شه رو یه دردسر دیگه انگشت بذاری؟»
دختر گفت: «نه نمی شه. حالا چه نقشه ای تو کله ته؟»
«گفتم که به ت.»
«نه، جدی می گم.»
مرد گفت: «نمی دونم.» دختر به مرد نگاه کرد و دستش را پیش آورد روی میز گذاشت.
گفت: «فلیپ بیچاره!» مرد به دست های دختر نگاه کرد اما دستش را دراز نکرد روی آن ها بگذارد.
گفت: «نمی خواد دلت برای من بسوزه.»
«حالا اگه معذرت بخوام قضیه حل می شه؟»
«نه.»
«حتی اگه ماجرا رو تعریف کنم؟»
«ترجیح می دم نشنوم.»
«خیلی دوستت دارم.»
«آره، خیلی راست می گی.»
دختر گفت: «حالا که درک نمی کنی می گم معذرت می خوام.»
«من درک می کنم. بدبختی همینه. درک می کنم.»
دختر گفت: «آره، و این قضیه را خراب تر می کنه، البته.»
مرد گفت: «همین طوره. من همیشه درک می کنم. صبح تا شب و شب تا صبح. به خصوص شب تا صبح. من درک می کنم. تو لازم نکرده نگران باشی.»
دختر گفت: «معذرت می خوام.»
«حالا اگه این بابا مرد بود... .»
«این حرفو نزن. مردی در کار نیست. خودت هم می دونی. تو به من اعتماد نداری؟»
مرد گفت: «خنده داره. به تو اعتماد داشته باشم! راستی راستی خنده داره.»
دختر گفت: «معذرت می خوام. تموم حرفم همینه. وقتی هر دومون همدیگه را درک می کنیم نباید وانمود کنیم که درک نمی کنیم.»
مرد گفت: «نه. من این طور خیال نمی کنم.»
«اگه تو بخوای من برمی گردم.»
«نه، نمی خوام برگردی.»
آن وقت برای مدتی دیگر حرفی نزدند.
دختر پرسید: «تو باور نمی کنی که دوستت دارم، هان؟»
مرد گفت: «دیگه چرند تحویل هم ندیم.»
«راستی راستی باور نمی کنی دوستت دارم؟»
«چرا اینو ثابت نمی کنی؟»
«تو اینجوری نبودی. تو هیچ وقت از من نخواسته ای چیزی را ثابت کنم. از ادب به دوره.»
«دختر مسخره ای هستی.»
«اما تو نیستی. تو آدم ماهی هستی و اگه تو رو ول کنم برم دلم برات می سوزه... .»
«البته ناچاری.»
دختر گفت: «آره، ناچارم و تو خوب می دونی.»
مرد چیزی نگفت و دختر به او نگاه کرد و باز دستش را پیش آورد. متصدی نوشگاه در انتهای نوشگاه بود. چهره و همین طور کتش سفید بود. او این دو نفر را می‏شناخت و فکر می کرد زوج جوان ماهی هستند. زوج های جوان ماه زیادی دیده بود که از هم جدا شده بودند و زوج جوان تازه ای تشکیل داده بودند که دیگر به همان ماهی گذشته نبودند. مرد به این موضوع فکر نمی کرد بلکه در فکر یک اسب بود. نیم ساعت دیگر یک نفر را به آن طرف خیابان می فرستاد تا بفهمد که اسب برنده شده یا نه.
دختر پرسید: «چطوره منو خوشحال کنی و بعد بذاری برم؟»
«پس خیال می کنی چه کار می خوام بکنم؟»
دو نفر از در وارد شدند و به طرف پیشخوان رفتند.
متصدی نوشگاه سفارش را گرفت و گفت: «چشم قربان.»
دختر گرفت: «منو نمی بخشی؟ حالا که از جریان خبر داری؟»
«نه.»
«فکر نمی کنی روابطی که با هم داشته ایم و کارهایی که کرده ایم توی درک ما تأثیر گذاشته باشه؟»
مرد جوان با تلخی گفت: «فسق از نظر من قابل تحمل نیست. کافیه آدم ببینه تا بعد نظر بده. اولش چیز می کنن، این می کنن، بعد مشغول می شن.» عین جمله یادش نمی‏آمد. گفت: «نمی تونم به زبون بیارم.»
دختر گفت: «اسمش فسق نیست. از ادب به دوره.»
مرد گفت: «انحراف که هست.»
یکی از مشتری ها خطاب به متصدی نوشگاه گفت: «جیمز، خیلی سر حالی.»
متصدی نوشگاه گفت: «خودت هم سر حالی.»
مشتری دیگر گفت: «رفیق قدیمی، جیمز، داری چاق می شی.»
متصدی نوشگاه گفت: «این جور که دارم چاق می شم وای به حالمه.»
مشتری اول گفت: «برندی رو فراموش نکنی، جیمز.»
متصدی نوشگاه گفت: «نه، قربان، به من اعتماد داشته باشین.»
دو نفری که پشت پیشخوان بودند به دو نفری که سر میز نشسته بودند نگاه کردند سپس برگشتند دوباره به متصدی نوشگاه چشم دوختند. نگاه کردن به متصدی نوشگاه برای شان راحت تر بود.
دختر گفت: «بیش تر دوست دارم این کلمه ها از دهنت بیرون نیاد. لزومی نداره یه همچین کلمه ای رو ادا کنی.»
«دلت می خواد اسم شو چی بزارم؟»
«مجبور نیستی اسم شو بیاری. مجبور نیستی اسم روش بذاری.»
«آخه اسمش همینه.»
دختر گفت: «نه، ما از خیلی چیزها ساخته شده ایم. خودت هم می دونی. باهاش سر و کار داشته باشی.»
«لزومی نداه این جور حرفو بزنی.»
«می خوام جواب تو رو داده باشم.»
مرد گفت: «خیلی خوب، خیلی خوب.»
«می خوای بگی اشتباه می کنم. می دونم. اشتباه می کنم. اما برمی گردم. به ت می‏گم بر می گردم. بلافاصله بر می گردم.»
«نه تو بر نمی گردی.»
«بر می گردم.»
«نه بر نمی گردی. یعنی پیش من بر نمی گردی»
«خواهیم دید.»
مرد گفت: «باشه، ببینم و تعریف کنم. این گوی و این میدون.»
«البته که بر می گردم.»
«خب، پس دست به کار شو.»
دختر که باور نمی کرد گفت: «راستی؟» صدایش شاد بود.
مرد گفت: «دست به کار شو.» لحن صدایش برای خودش عجیب بود. به دختر نگاه می‏کرد، به لب های او که تکان می خورد، به انحنای گونه اش، به لاله‏ی گوشش و به انحنای گردنش.
دختر گفت: «باور نمی کنم. تو خیلی مهربونی. با من خیلی مهربونی.»
مرد گفت: «وقتی برگشتی همه چیزو برام تعریف کن.» صدایش لحن عجیبی داشت. خودش به جا نمی آورد. دختر بی درنگ نگاهش می کرد. مرد در خود فرورفته بود.
دختر با لحنی جدی پرسید: «تو دلت می خواد من برم؟»
مرد با لحنی جدی گفت: «آره، همین الان.» لحن صدایش فرق کرده بود و دهنش خشک شده بود، اضافه کرد: «الان.»
دختر از جا بلند شد و به سرعت بیرون رفت. برنگشت به مرد نگاه کند. مرد او را تماشا می کرد. دیگر قیافه‏ی مردی را نداشت که به دختر گفته بود راهش را بکشد برود. از سر میز بلند شد، دو برگ صورت حساب را برداشت و به طرف پیشخوان رفت.
به متصدی نوشگاه گفت: «من آدم دیگه ای هستم، جیمز. من که جلو روی تو ایستاده‏ام یه آدم دیگه ای هستم.»
جیمز گفت: «بله، قربان.»
جوان برنزه گفت: «فسق چیز عجیب و غریبی یه، جیمز.» از در به بیرون نگاه کرد دختر را دید که راه پایین دست خیابان را در پیش گرفته. به آینه که نگاه کرد، دید که به راستی آدم دیگری است. دو مشتری دیگر پشت پیشخوان عقب رفتند تا برای او جا بازکنند.
جیمز گفت: «شما زده این تو خال، قربان.»
دو نفر باز هم کمی عقب رفتند تا مرد کاملاً راحت باشد. جوان خود را در آینه‏ی پشت نوشگاه دید. گفت: «گفتم که آدم دیگه ای شده ام، جیمز.» توی آینه نگاه کرد و پی برد که کاملاً درست می گوید.
جیمز گفت: «شما خیلی سر حالین، قربان. حتماً تابستون به تون خیلی خوش گذشته»

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
خانم جوانی در سالن انتظار فرودگاهی بزرگمنتظر اعلام برای سوار شدن به هواپیما بود..

As she would need towait many hours, she decided to buy a book to spend her time. She also bought a packet ofcookies.

باید ساعات زیادی رو برای سوار شدن به هواپیما سپری میکرد و تا پرواز هواپیمامدت زیادی مونده بود ..پس تصمیم گرفت یه کتاب بخره وبا مطالعه كتاب اين مدت رو بگذرونه ..اون همینطور یه پاکت شیرینی خرید...
She sat downin an armchair, in the VIP room of the airport, to rest and read in peace.
اون خانم نشست رو یه صندلی راحتی در قسمتی کهمخصوص افراد مهم بود. تا هم با خیال راحت استراحت کنه و هم کتابشو بخونه.

Beside the armchair where the packet ofcookies lay, a man sat down in the next seat, opened his magazine and started reading.کنار دستش .اون جایی که پاکت شیرینی اش بود.یه آقایی نشست روی صندلی کنارش وشروع کرد به خوندن مجله ایکه با خودش آورده بود ..

When she took out the first cookie,the man took one also.
She felt irritated but said nothing. She just thought:
“What a nerve! If I wasin the mood I would punch him for daring!”

وقتی خانومه اولین شیرینی رو از تو پاکت برداشت..آقاهه همیه دونه ورداشت ..خانومه عصبانی شد ولی به روي خودش نیاورد..فقط پیش خودش فکرکرد این یارو عجب رویی داره ..اگه حال و حوصله داشتم حسابی حالشو میگرفتم

For each cookie she took, the mantook one too.
This was infuriating her but she didn’t want to cause a scene.

هر یه دونه شیرینی که خانومه بر میداشت ..آقاهه هم یکیور میداشت .دیگه خانومه داشت راستی راستی جوش میاورد ولی نمیخواست باعث مشاجره بشه

When only one cookie remained, she thought:“ah... What this abusive man do now?”
Then, the man, taking the last cookie, dividedit into half, giving her one half.

وقتی فقط یه دونه شیرینی ته پاکت مونده بود ..خانومهفکر کرد..اه . حالا این آقای پر رو و سواستفاده چی چه عکس العملی نشون میده..هان؟؟؟؟آقاهههم با کمال خونسردی شیرینی آخری رو ور داشت ..دو قسمت کرد ونصفشو داد خانومه ونصف دیگه شو خودش خورد..

Ah! That was too much!
She was much tooangry now!
In a huff, she took her book, her things and stormedto the boarding place.

اه ..این دیگه خیلی رو میخواد...خانومه دیگه از عصبانیت کارد میزدی خونش در نمیومد. در حالی که حسابی قاطی کرده بود..بلند شد و کتاب و اثاثش رو برداشت وعصبانی رفت برای سوار شدن به هواپیما

When she sat down in her seat, inside theplane, she looked into her purse to take her eyeglasses, and, to her surprise, her packet of cookies was there, untouched, unopened!وقتی نشست سر جای خودش تو هواپیما ..یه نگاهی توی کیفش کرد تا عینکش رو برداره..که یک دفعه غافلگیر شد..چرا؟ برای این که دید که پاکت شیرینی که خریده بودتوی کیفش هست .<<.دست نخورده و باز نشده>>

She felt so ashamed!! She realized that she was wrong...
She had forgotten that hercookies were kept in her purse
فهمید که اشتباه کرده و از خودش شرمنده شد.اون یادش رفته بود که پاکت شیرینی رووقتی خریده بود تو کیفش گذاشته بود.

The man had divided his cookies with her, withoutfeeling angered or bitter.
اون آقا بدون ناراحتی و اوقات تلخی شیرینی هاشو با او تقسیم کردهبود

...while she had been very angry, thinking that she was dividing her cookieswith him.
And now there was no chance to explain herself...nor to apologize.”
در زمانی که
اون عصبانی بود و فکر میکرد که در واقع اون آقاهه است که داره شیرینی هاشو میخوره و حالا حتی فرصتی نه تنها برای توجیه کار خودش بلکه برای عذر خواهی از اون آقا رو نداره

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
A man with a gun goes into a bank and demands their money.
مردي با اسلحه وارد يك بانك شد و تقاضاي پول كرد.
Once he is given the money, he turns to a customer and asks, 'Did you see me rob this bank?'
وقتي پول ها را دريافت كرد رو به يكي از مشتريان بانك كرد و پرسيد : آيا شما ديديد كه من از اين بانك دزدي كنم؟
The man replied, 'Yes sir, I did.'
مرد پاسخ داد : بله قربان من ديدم.
The robber then shot him in the temple , killing him instantly.
.سپس دزد اسلحه را به سمت شقيقه مرد گرفت و او را در جا كشت
He then turned to a couple standing next to him and asked the man, 'Did you see me rob this bank?' او مجددا رو به زوجي كرد كه نزديك او ايستاده بودند و از آن ها پرسيد آيا شما ديديد كه من از اين بانك دزدي كنم؟
The man replied, 'No sir, I didn't, but my wife did!'
مرد پاسخ داد : نه قربان. من نديدم اما همسرم ديد.
Moral - When Opportunity knocks.... MAKE USE OF IT!
نكته اخلاقي: وقتي شانس در خونه شما را ميزند. از آن استفاده كنيد!

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
A man checked into a hotel. There was a computer in his room* so he decided to send an e-mail to his wife. However* he accidentally typed a wrong e-mail address* and without realizing his error he sent the e-mail.
Meanwhile….Somewhere in Houston * a widow had just returned from her husband’s funeral. The widow decided to check her e-mail* expecting condolence messages from relatives and friends.After reading the first message* she fainted. The widow’s son rushed into the room* found his mother on the floor* and saw the computer screen which read:
To: My Loving Wife
Subject: I’ve Reached
Date: 2 May 2006
I know you’re surprised to hear from me. They have computers here* and we are allowed to send e-mails to loved ones. I’ve just reached and have been checked in. I see that everything has been prepared for your arrival tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing you TOMORROW!
Your loving hubby

مردی اتاق هتلی را تحویل گرفت .در اتاقش کامپیوتری بود،بنابراین تصمیم گرفت ایمیلی به همسرش بفرستد.ولی بطور تصادفی ایمیل را به آدرس اشتباه فرستاد و بدون اینکه متوجه اشتباهش شود،ایمیل را فرستاد.
با این وجود..جایی در هوستون ،بیوه ای از مراسم خاکسپاری شوهرش بازگشته بود.زن بیوه تصمیم گرفت ایمیلش را به این خاطر که پیامهای همدردی اقوام و دوستانش را بخواند،چک کند. پس از خواندن اولین پیام،از هوش رفت.پسرش به اتاق آمد و مادرش را کف اتاق دید و از صفحه کامپیوتر این را خواند:
به: همسر دوست داشتنی ام
موضوع: من رسیدم
تاریخ: دوم می 2006
میدانم از اینکه خبری از من داشته باشی خوشحال می شوی.آنها اینجا کامپیوتر داشتند و ما اجازه داریم به آنهایی که دوستشان داریم ایمیل بدهیم.من تازه رسیدم و اتاق را تحویل گرفته ام.می بینم که همه چیز آماده شده که فردا برسی.به امید دیدنت، فردا

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
A woman had 3 girls.
خانمی سه دختر داشت.
One day she decides to test her sons-in-law.
یک روز او تصمیم گرفت دامادهایش را تست کند.
She invites the first one for a stroll by the lake shore ,purposely falls in and pretents to be drowing.
او داماد اولش را به کنار دریاچه دعوت کرد و عمدا تو آب افتاد و وانمود به غرق شدن کرد.
Without any hestination,the son-in-law jumps in and saves her.
بدون هیچ تاخیری داماد تو آب پرید و مادرزنش را نجات داد.
The next morning,he finds a brand new car in his driveway with this message on the windshield.
صبح روز بعد او یک ماشین نو "براند "را در پارکینگش پیدا کرد با این پیام در شیشهءجلویی.
Thank you !your mother-in-law who loves you!متشکرم !از طرف مادر زنت کسی که تورا دوست دارد!
A few days later,the lady does the same thing with the second son-in-law.
بعد از چند روز خانم همین کار را با داماد دومش کرد.
He jumps in the water and saves her also.
او هم به آب پرید و مادرزنش را نجات داد.
She offers him a new car with the same message on the windshield.
او یک ماشین نو" براند "با این پیام بهش تقدیم کرد.
Thank you! your mother-in-law who loves you!
متشکرم!مادرزنت کسی که تو را دوست دارد!
Afew days later ,she does the same thing again with the third son-in-law.
بعد از چند روز او همین کار را با داماد سومش کرد.
While she is drowning,the son-in-law looks at her without moving an inch and thinks:زمانیکه او غرق می شد دامادش او را نگاه می کرد بدون اینکه حتی یک اینچ تکان بخورد و به این فکر می کرد که:
Finally,it,s about time that this old witch dies!
بالاخره وقتش ر سیده که این پیرزن عجوزه بمیرد!
The next morning ,he receives a brand new car with this message .صبح روز بعد او یک ماشین نو" براند" با این پیام دریافت کرد.
Thank you! Your father-in-law.
متشکرم! پدر زنت!![/SIZE]

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
The Peacock and the Tortoise ONCE upon a time a peacock and a tortoise became great friends. The peacock lived on a tree by the banks of the stream in which the tortoise had his home. Everyday, after he had a drink of water, the peacock will dance near the stream to the amusement of his tortoise friend.
One unfortunate day, a bird-catcher caught the peacock and was about to take him away to the market. The unhappy bird begged his captor to allow him to bid his friend, the tortoise good-bye.
The bird-catcher allowed him his request and took him to the tortoise. The tortoise was greatly disturbed to see his friend a captive.
The tortoise asked the bird-catcher to let the peacock go in return for an expensive present. The bird-catcher agreed. The tortoise then, dived into the water and in a few seconds came up with a handsome pearl, to the great astonishment of the bird-catcher. As this was beyond his exceptions, he let the peacock go immediately.
A short time after, the greedy man came back and told the tortoise that he had not paid enough for the release of his friend, and threatened to catch the peacock again unless an exact match of the pearl is given to him. The tortoise, who had already advised his friend, the peacock, to leave the place to a distant jungle upon being set free, was greatly enraged at the greed of this man.
“Well,” said the tortoise, “if you insist on having another pearl like it, give it to me and I will fish you out an exact match for it.” Due to his greed, the bird-catcher gave the pearl to the tortoise, who swam away with it saying, “I am no fool to take one and give two!” The tortoise then disappeared into the water, leaving the bird-catcher without a single pearl.

طاووس و لاک پشت
روزی روزگاری،طاووس و لاک پشتی بودن که دوستای خوبی برای هم بودن.طاووس نزدیک درخت کنار رودی که لاک پشت زندگی می کرد، خونه داشت.. هر روز پس از اینکه طاووس نزدیک رودخانه آبی می خورد ، برای سرگرم کردن دوستش می رقصید.
یک روز بدشانس، یک شکارچی پرنده، طاووس را به دام انداخت و خواست که اونو به بازار ببره. پرنده غمگین، از شکارچی اش خواهش کرد که بهش اجازه بده از لاک پشت خداحافظی کنه.
شکارچی خواهش طاووس رو قبول کرد و اونو پیش لاک پشت برد. لاک پشت از این که میدید دوستش اسیر شده خیلی ناراحت شد.اون از شکارچی خواهش کرد که طاووس رو در عوض دادن هدیه ای باارزش رها کنه. شکارچی قبول کرد.بعد، لاکپشت داخل آب شیرجه زد و بعد از لحظه ای با مرواریدی زیبا بیرون اومد. شکارچی که از دیدن این کار لاک پشت متحیر شده بود فوری اجازه داد که طاووس بره. مدت کوتاهی بعد از این ماجرا، مرد حریص برگشت و به لاک پشت گفت که برای آزادی پرنده ، چیز کمی گرفته و تهدید کرد که دوباره طاووس رو اسیر میکنه مگه اینکه مروارید دیگه ای شبیه مروارید قبلی بگیره. لاک پشت که قبلا به دوستش نصیحت کرده بود برای آزاد بودن ، به جنگل دوردستی بره ،خیلی از دست مرد حریص، عصبانی شد.
لاک پشت گفت:بسیار خوب، اگه اصرار داری مروارید دیگه ای شبیه قبلی داشته باشی، مروارید رو به من بده تا عین اونو برات پیدا کنم. شکارچی به خاطر طمعش ،مروارید رو به لاک پشت داد. لاک پشت درحالیکه با شنا کردن از مرد دور می شد گفت: من نادان نیستم که یکی بگیرم و دوتا بدم. بعد بدون اینکه حتی یه مروارید به شکارجی بده، در آب ناپدید شد.

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
envelope, Bill?'
Bill said, 'Yes, I have,' and he gave them to him.
Then George said, 'Now I haven't got a pen.' Bill gave him his, and George wrote his letter. Then he put it in the envelope and said, 'Have you got a stamp, Bill?' Bill gave him one.
Then Bill got up and went to the door, so George said to him, 'Are you going out?
Bill said, 'Yes, I am,' and he opened the door.
George said, 'Please put my letter in the box in the office, and ... ' He stopped.
'What do you want now?' Bill said to him.
George looked at the envelope of his letter and answered, 'What's your girl-friend's address?'

دو سرباز در يك پادگان بودند. نام اولي جرج بود، و نام دومي بيل بود. جرج گفت: بيل، يك تيكه كاغذ و يك پاكت نامه داري؟
بيل گفت: بله دارم. و آن*ها را به وي داد.
سپس جرج گفت: حالا من خودكار ندارم. بيل به وي خودكارش را داد، و جرج نامه*اش را نوشت. سپس آن را در پاكت گذاشت و گفت: بيل، آيا تمبر داري؟. بيل يك تمبر به او داد.
در آن هنگام بيل بلند شد و به سمت در رفت، بنابراين جرج به او گفت: آيا بيرون مي*روي؟.
بيل گفت: بله، مي*روم. و در را باز كرد.
جرج گفت: لطفا نامه*ي مرا در صندوق پست بياندازيد، و ... . او مكث كرد.
بيل به وي گفت: ديگه چي مي*خواهي؟
جرج به پاكت نامه*اش نگاه كرد و گفت: آدرس دوست دخترت چيه؟.

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
MOTHER

Four brothers left home for college, and they became successful doctors and lawyers and prospered. Some years later, they chatted after having dinner together. They discussed the gifts that they were able to give to their elderly mother, who lived far away in another city.
The first said, “I had a big house built for Mama. The second said, “I had a hundred thousand dollar theater built in the house. The third said, “I had my Mercedes dealer deliver her an SL600 with a chauffeur. The fourth said, “Listen to this. You know how Mama loved reading the Bible and you know she can’t read it anymore because she can’t see very well. I met this monk who told me about a parrot that can recite the entire Bible. It took 20 monks 12 years to teach him. I had to pledge them $100,000 a year for 20 years to the church, but it was worth it. Mama just has to name the chapter and verse and the parrot will recite it.” The other brothers were impressed.
After the holidays Mama sent out her Thank You notes. She wrote: Dear Milton, the house you built is so huge. I live in only one room, but I have to clean the whole house. Thanks anyway.
Dear Mike, you gave me an expensive theater with Dolby sound, it could hold 50 people, but all my friends are dead, I’ve lost my hearing and I’m nearly blind. I’ll never use it. But thank you for the gesture just the same.
Dear Marvin, I am too old to travel. I stay home, I have my groceries delivered, so I never use the Mercedes … and the driver you hired is a big jerk. But the thought was good. Thanks.
Dearest Melvin, you were the only son to have the good sense to give a little thought to your gift. The chicken was delicious. Thank you.”

چهار برادر ، خانه شان را به قصد تحصیل ترک کردند و دکتر،قاضی و آدمهای موفقی شدند. چند سال بعد،آنها بعد از شامی که باهم داشتند حرف زدند.اونا درمورد هدایایی که تونستن به مادر پیرشون که دور از اونها در شهر دیگه ای زندگی می کرد ،صحبت کردن.
اولی گفت: من خونه بزرگی برای مادرم ساختم . دومی گفت: من تماشاخانه(سالن تئاتر) یکصد هزار دلاری در خانه ساختم. سومی گفت : من ماشین مرسدسی با راننده کرایه کردم که مادرم به سفر بره.
چهارمی گفت: گوش کنید، همتون می دونید که مادر چقدر خوندن کتاب مقدس رو دوست داره، و میدونین که نمی تونه هیچ چیزی رو خوب بخونه چون جشماش نمیتونه خوب ببینه . شماها میدونید که مادر چقدر خوندن کتاب مقدس را دوست داشت و میدونین هیچ وقت نمی تونه بخونه ، چون چشماش خوب نمی بینه. من ، راهبی رو دیدم که به من گفت یه طوطی هست که میتونه تمام کتاب مقدس رو حفظ بخونه . این طوطی با کمک بیست راهب و در طول دوازده سال اینو یاد گرفت. من ناچارا تعهد کردم به مدت بیست سال و هر سال صد هزار دلار به کلیسا بپردازم. مادر فقط باید اسم فصل ها و آیه ها رو بگه و طوطی از حفظ براش می خونه. برادرای دیگه تحت تاثیر قرار گرفتن.
پس از ایام تعطیل، مادر یادداشت تشکری فرستاد. اون نوشت: میلتون عزیز، خونه ای که برام ساختی خیلی بزرگه .من فقط تو یک اتاق زندگی می کنم ولی مجبورم تمام خونه رو تمییز کنم.به هر حال ممنونم.
مایک عزیز،تو به من تماشاخانه ای گرونقیمت با صدای دالبی دادی.اون ،میتونه پنجاه نفرو جا بده ولی من همه دوستامو از دست دادم ، من شنوایییم رو از دست دادم و تقریبا ناشنوام .هیچ وقت از اون استفاده نمی کنم ولی از این کارت ممنونم.
ماروین عزیز، من خیلی پیرم که به سفر برم.من تو خونه می مونم ،مغازه بقالی ام رو دارم پس هیچ وقت از مرسدس استفاده نمی کنم. راننده ای که کرایه کردی یه احمق واقعیه. اما فکرت خوب بود ممنونم
ملوین عزیزترینم، تو تنها پسری بودی که درک داشتی که کمی فکر بابت هدیه ات بکنی. جوجه خوشمزه بود. ممنونم.

ZEUS83

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
agroup of frogs were traveling through the woods, and two of them fell into a deep pit When the other frogs saw how deep the pit was, they told the two frogs that they were as good as dead The two frogs ignored the comments and tried to jump up out of the pit with all their migh The other frogs kept telling them to stop, that they were as good as dead Finally, one of the frogs took heed to what the other frogs were saying and gave up. He fell down and died The other frog continued to jump as hard as he could. Once again, the crowd of frogs yelled at him to stop the pain and just die He jumped even harder and finally made it out When he got out, the other frogs said, "Did you not hear us?" The frog explained to them that he was deaf. He thought they were encouraging him the entire time.

This story teaches two lessons
There is power of life and death in the tongue An encouraging word to someone who is down can lift them up and help them make it through the day
A destructive word to someone who is down can be what it takes to kill them
So, be careful of what you say

گروهی از قورباغه ها از بیشه ای عبور می کردند . دو قورباغه از بین آنها درون گودال عمیقی افتادند. وقتی دیگر قورباغه ها دیدند که گودال چقدر عمیق است ،به دو قورباغه گفتند آنها دیگر می میرند. دو قورباغه نصایح آنها را نادیده گرفتند و سعی کردند با تمام توانشان از گودال بیرون بپرند. سرانجام یکی از آنها به آنچه دیگر قورباغه ها می گفتند، اعتنا کرد و دست از تلاش برداشت. به زمین افتاد و مرد. قورباغه دیگر به تلاش ادامه داد تا جایی که توان داشت. بار دیگر قورباغه ها سرش فریاد کشیدند که دست از رنج کشیدن بردارد و بمیرد. او سخت تر شروع به پریدن کرد و سرانجام بیرون آمد. وقتی او از آنجا خارج شد. قورباغه های دیگر به او گفتند :آیا صدای ما را نشنیدی؟ قورباغه به آنها توضیح داد که او ناشنوا است.او فکر کرد که قورباغه ها، تمام مدت او را تشویق می کردند.

این داستان دو درس به ما می آموزد:
پس مراقب آنجه می گویی باش. 2- یک واژه مخرب به کسی که غمگین است می تواند موجب مرگ او شود. 1- قدرت زندگی و مرگ در زبان است. یک واژه دلگرم کننده به کسی که غمگین است می تواند باعث پیشرفت او شود و کمک کند در طول روز سرزنده باشند.